A desperate result

Started by frailer, July 27, 2010, 09:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on July 28, 2010, 09:09:08 PMWow... I wonder what I did or said...

At any rate, there is a lot you can do with PitStop and color manipulation. But I much prefer what can be done with pdfToolbox because I can do things you wouldn't "normally be allowed to do". Like searching and replacing specific colors or ranges in a raster image. Not just a plate, but specific colors in a raster image. Like if the red isn't "red enough" I can find it and change it to the "red enough" red.

Hey Matt, does PDFToolBox have the same capabilities as Pitstop in regard to action lists and global change? Also changing page boxes, inserting images, etc? I would request a demo but I have a heck of a time making time to use it on real work. And Callas should really re-consider that puny 7 day demo period.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

They have similar things to actions/global change called fixups. It's not structured the same way but the net effect is similar. There are not any interactive editing tools in pdfToolbox for doing things like swapping images. callas is always listening and always willing to hear from people. If you need info on how to submit a feature request let me know. You can also send them to me and I would be happy to pass them on. The demo period is short but can always be extended if needed. Generally most people can do an evaluation in 14 days. If anyone needs help evaluating, needs a profile/fixup/check or a demo just let me know.

There are a few things in pdfToolbox that are very valuable tools that you won't necessarily find in any single tool.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I did demo Toolbox, and although it did a lot of cool shit, I still prefer Pitstop. The interface alone in Pitstop is better for me, maybe it's because I am used to it. At any rate, I liked it fine as an addition, or an alternative, but NOT a replacement. I really want to try Pitstop Extreme next.

Oh and thanks Matt for the demo. I was able to use it several times in production, just not enough to justify both Pitstop and Toolbox. The 7 day demo kind of was a deterrent, I just didn't really have enough free time to really mess with it.
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

It is not a replacement for PitStop. pdfToolbox and PitStop provide a very complete set of production tools. Yes, they overlap but as I said there are plenty of differences. If you need a longer demo just let me know. If you want to order a copy you can order one through me using the cross-grade offer callas has. It's less expensive than a full retail license. All I need is your PitStop license key for verification.

If you want to look at Extreme let me know too. I can help you with that.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I do indeed. And if you let me try Toolbox again for a little longer I will try to get some quality time with it. PM me with what exactly you need from me.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on July 28, 2010, 09:26:30 PMIt is not a replacement for PitStop. pdfToolbox and PitStop provide a very complete set of production tools. Yes, they overlap but as I said there are plenty of differences. If you need a longer demo just let me know. If you want to order a copy you can order one through me using the cross-grade offer callas has. It's less expensive than a full retail license. All I need is your PitStop license key for verification.

If you want to look at Extreme let me know too. I can help you with that.

It's tough right now to get money for any new tools when we're getting the job done with Pitstop. What would you say that PDFToolBox can do that Pitstop can't?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

This is true, but saving money in the long run is the goal. Pitstop saves me money, Toolbox? Well, I'm just not sure. I like giving software a good test, but sometimes my schedule doesn't permit me the flexibility to do it when I want, but more when I can.
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

If you're not doing interactive editing then pdfToolbox's switchboard interface is a very easy to use interface. Works extremely well for CSR or quick hits here and there. It's biggest feature compared to PitStop? Hard to say. I think color and reporting are the biggest areas. Specifically new in the area of reporting and color is the "visualizer" which can show you in a meaningful way the TAC values on the sheet. Further, it can calculate the total amount of the sheet covered with ink and what percentage of that total sheet coverage is a specific process color. If you are involved in PDF/X-4p, layered PDF's for localization/personalization, color management, Office PDF's to CMYK, etc then pdfToolbox has some very attractive tools.

The Best thing to do is to download pdfToolbox 4.5 from the callas website so that you have the latest and greatest. Register/activate the demo and you should be good to go for 14 days. If you need more or specific help just call or email. Not too good with morse code, semaphore or smoke signals anymore...
Matt Beals