Flatbed Scanner replacement

Started by David, March 10, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I got a Microtek Scanmaker S440 that just died (I think a power outage bit it). Got it on the bench and have it apart to see if I can "fix" it.
Any good recommendations for a reasonably priced flatbed scanner?

Requirements:
1. needs to do up to A4 size at a good res
2. email capable
3. transparency scanning not a must, but would be nice
4. makes a mean peanut butter & jelly sammich
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Can't you just "scan" stuff with your cell phone camera? That's what I would do. Easy to email.  :blank:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on March 10, 2011, 03:47:44 PMCan't you just "scan" stuff with your cell phone camera? That's what I would do. Easy to email.  :blank:
What?!?! :sad:  Gnub has a cell phone camera?!?! That's so progressive of you. I had no idea you owned any kind of personal technology. It seems so... well, anti-Gnub.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: gnubler on March 10, 2011, 03:47:44 PMCan't you just "scan" stuff with your cell phone camera? That's what I would do. Easy to email.  :blank:

my cell phone cam doesn't do A4 scans, unless I stand wayyyy back.

and like digisigi said, how do you know about the cell phones scans?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

I am also interested in this inquiry. I thought we had an understanding.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

I thought my usage of the sarcasm icon was redundant.........  :sleepy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

I see a blank emoticon, not sarcasm. Dead to me. Cellphone user!
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2011, 04:10:24 PMI see a blank emoticon, not sarcasm. Dead to me. Cellphone user!

That was the point.

Now I'm confused. What's going on with the Matrix today?

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2011, 04:10:24 PMCellphone user!

And how dare you spew such filthy words to me! You are DEAD to me!  :angry:

DigitalCrapShoveler

You are the one bragging about using the cell to scan images. I can't take too much more of this obvious mutiny. Get your shit together, woman!
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Epson Expression 10000XL. Reasonably priced and does good work.

[posted from gnubler's iPhone]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2011, 04:52:59 PMYou are the one bragging about using the cell to scan images. I can't take too much more of this obvious mutiny. Get your shit together, woman!

This is absurd. I'm also stunned that my "scanning" idea wasn't instantly ridiculed, judging by the quality of cell cam pics I see floating around.

You're jokin', right?

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on March 10, 2011, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2011, 04:52:59 PMYou are the one bragging about using the cell to scan images. I can't take too much more of this obvious mutiny. Get your shit together, woman!

This is absurd. I'm also stunned that my "scanning" idea wasn't instantly ridiculed, judging by the quality of cell cam pics I see floating around.

You're jokin', right?

Does everyone NOT joke around here?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I take DCS very seriously. In fact, I do not believe he is capable of joking. When he typed that he likes knives too, he wasn't kidding.