'Stretch' bleed

Started by frailer, April 19, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone aware of an enhancement in recent PhShops where you can 'auto-stretch' to get bleed, in a situation where the image can't be moved or unmasked?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on April 19, 2012, 08:51:00 PMAnyone aware of an enhancement in recent PhShops where you can 'auto-stretch' to get bleed, in a situation where the image can't be moved or unmasked?

It is not "auto" by any means but I open the image in Photoshop, expand the image using "Canvas Size" to add enough white space to all 4 sides of the image. Then draw a marquee along one edge down the side of the entire image a little bigger than the bleed you want to add. I copy that and then Paste. Then I go to "Edit - Transform - Flip Horizontal". Then use the move tool to nudge the pasted image to the very edge of the image where it it mirrors the original. Then flatten the image and repeat for the other side, then the top, then the bottom. It's easier than it sounds and I can do an image in about 2 minutes. You don't really have to concern yourself too much with the repeating pattern in places because 95% of it is going to end up on the floor of the bindery anyway.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Ended up doing a copy/slice/ˆCanvas Size/clone out to match image at trim~sorta... Place in Indy, butt, tweak, reExport.  But I'll give that one a go next time... This one is a pretty fancy book, and a client we're willing to put out for, so...

While we're on PhSh... using 5.1, when I try and clone-stamp stuff it leaves a 'white hole'.   :huh:  v5.0  => no problem. Dump plist file?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

I do something similar to Joe, but slightly different. This works really well and is fast.

Double-click Background to make it a layer.

Expand canvas by desired bleed amount.

Use the marquee to select as large an area as I can on one side of the main subject (the larger, the better because the stretch in the next step will be less noticeable over a larger distance). I try not to select any of the main subject so it doesn't get stretched.

Command-J to copy the selection to its own layer. (You still want the image on the original layer, too, otherwise you'll see an artifact.)

Free Transform the newest layer and stretch it to the edge of the canvas.

Command-E to merge this layer down.

Repeat on other 3 sides if needed.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

Nice tute there Dan!

thanks!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Cool! Have to try it sometime. I usually do exactly what Joe described.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

are you a Chinese hacker?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Is that your new thing?  :laugh:

Just make it bleed, ffs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on April 19, 2012, 09:13:54 PM
Quote from: frailer on April 19, 2012, 08:51:00 PMAnyone aware of an enhancement in recent PhShops where you can 'auto-stretch' to get bleed, in a situation where the image can't be moved or unmasked?

It is not "auto" by any means but I open the image in Photoshop, expand the image using "Canvas Size" to add enough white space to all 4 sides of the image. Then draw a marquee along one edge down the side of the entire image a little bigger than the bleed you want to add. I copy that and then Paste. Then I go to "Edit - Transform - Flip Horizontal". Then use the move tool to nudge the pasted image to the very edge of the image where it it mirrors the original. Then flatten the image and repeat for the other side, then the top, then the bottom. It's easier than it sounds and I can do an image in about 2 minutes. You don't really have to concern yourself too much with the repeating pattern in places because 95% of it is going to end up on the floor of the bindery anyway.

That's an old trick of mine I've used for many years. :goodpost:

gnubler

I prefer the trick of punching the deziner in the back of the neck, HARD, after they've submitted three "final" files to us and still don't understand the challenging concept of bleed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

pworden

I use "content aware" fill most of the time for missing Pshop bleeds.
Commercial Sheetfed Offset  + Digital; XMF, Trendsetter, XMF Remote, Xerox digital, XMPie, Heidelberg SM74, Epson 9600, HP5500 Spinjet, IQ-Smart, X-Rite CMM.

delooch

Quote from: gnubler on April 20, 2012, 10:05:52 AMI prefer the trick of punching the deziner in the back of the neck, HARD, after they've submitted three "final" files to us and still don't understand the challenging concept of bleed.

:goodpost:

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on April 20, 2012, 10:05:52 AMI prefer the trick of punching the deziner in the back of the neck, HARD, after they've submitted three "final" files to us and still don't understand the challenging concept of bleed.

That like a Donkey punch?

gnubler

"Punch the deziner in the donkey"

Or, the 6-pack Slam. Depends if they're a fat fcuker or not.

Tracy

sheesh never thought of the flopping -duh!
Gonna try Dan's tip too!