Anyone remember "Quick Edit"?

Started by DCurry, August 20, 2012, 06:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Many versions ago, there was a feature in Photoshop that I think was called Quick Edit. It allowed you to select just a portion of an image to open, make your edits, then save it back into the full file. This was great if you had a very large file and just needed to make a simple change to one small area of the file - instead of waiting or the entire image to open, it would only open the designated area.

I'm not sure when it disappeared, but does anyone know if it still exists in some hidden place, or perhaps an old plugin that needs to be installed?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Diddler

I think they moved into Photoshop Elements. Been a while since i've used it. but it seems to jog a memory somewhere in my grey matter. :old:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Man, that brings back some memories. On the old Hell Chromacom system that is how you had to retouch an entire image. One section at a time. I miss it not one bit. I don't recall being able to do that in Photoshop though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I did some poking around and it was last seen in Photoshop 4 or 5 (not CS4). I think the thing in Elemensts that is called "quick Edit" is something different.

Dammit, I want it back - anyone have a copy of version 4 still running? If so, I wonder if you can dig into the Import/Export plugins and send me the Quick Edit one. I could see if it will work.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on August 21, 2012, 03:30:56 PMI did some poking around and it was last seen in Photoshop 4 or 5 (not CS4). I think the thing in Elemensts that is called "quick Edit" is something different.

Dammit, I want it back - anyone have a copy of version 4 still running? If so, I wonder if you can dig into the Import/Export plugins and send me the Quick Edit one. I could see if it will work.

I'll have to dig it up. It only works on flattened files with NO metadata. Last version was in PS 5.5. Still want it? I really doubt it would work.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 21, 2012, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: DCurry on August 21, 2012, 03:30:56 PMI did some poking around and it was last seen in Photoshop 4 or 5 (not CS4). I think the thing in Elemensts that is called "quick Edit" is something different.

I'll have to dig it up. It only works on flattened files with NO metadata. Last version was in PS 5.5. Still want it? I really doubt it would work.

Probably only will work on PPC Macs.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Good point, Joe.

Anyway, here you go, Dan. Good luck to you.

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Placed it in my Photoshop CS 5.5 plugins folder. Photoshop crashes every time I try to start it up. :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

I didn't even waste my time trying.

Dan wants it, so who am I to ask what he plans on doing with it.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Thanks, DCS - I'll give it a whirl. I know it probably won't work, but it's worth a try.

The reason I want it relates to my story in another thread about opening 1-bit plate tiffs and changing the job number in the Preps slug. If I can just open the bottom corner of the file it will go much faster.

DCurry

Back again. As most predicted, it didn't work. Thanks anyway! A little experimentation is always fun.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian