Which workflow do you use?

Started by Laurens, October 22, 2011, 09:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Pretty much. We're still using "classic" to trap the supplied pdfs with vector trapping. We're then using a layout script and the trapped pdfs input into another "classic" workflow to generate an imposed ArtPro file. A fully imposed press-ready pdf is then exported from the ArtPro file. That's where the pdf RIP comes in. The imposed pdf is input into the pdf RIP, which interprets and separates the file into 1 bits. The workflow looks a lot like a "classic" workflow. If we had all of the features (trapping, etc.) of say, Neo, we probably wouldn't need the "classic" RIP for any of this kind of work.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

K thanks.

Looks like it's going to be a judgment call on what to do when AE10 is fully complete.

andyfest

The tech rep from Esko that visited, once we had the pdf module installed, told us that we had maybe three years of usable life left in our "classic" RIP. He felt that the increasingly complex transparent effects used in future versions of CS applications would force us to migrate to AE10. Just what I need... :old:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: andyfest on October 24, 2011, 11:36:40 AMThe tech rep from Esko that visited, once we had the pdf module installed, told us that we had maybe three years of usable life left in our "classic" RIP. He felt that the increasingly complex transparent effects used in future versions of CS applications would force us to migrate to AE10. Just what I need... :old:

Yea it should be fun :sarcasm:

frailer

Quote from: andyfest on October 24, 2011, 11:36:40 AMThe tech rep from Esko that visited, once we had the pdf module installed, told us that we had maybe three years of usable life left in our "classic" RIP. He felt that the increasingly complex transparent effects used in future versions of CS applications would force us to migrate to AE10. Just what I need... :old:

We all get used to working how we're used to working, if that makes any sense. But if you could see the simplicity of native APPE workflow, especially if it's got integrated impo, I suspect you might feel a bit put upon with how you're working now.
My productivity has soared, and 'productivity' and 'my' in the same sentence... quite an achievement.   :laugh:

Your description above kinda reminds me of the old 'marble in a shoe box' that you'd make as a kid. Drop it in the hole in the top, wait a full minute, rolls out a hole in the bottom.  Oh OK...  :old:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

typeman

Quote from: frailer on October 23, 2011, 07:03:20 PM
Quote from: typeman on October 23, 2011, 06:41:45 PMRampage 12.0 with Metrix. We used to use Preps. Metrix is very nice, and Rampage does wonderful for us.

Any chance some screenshots of Metrix GUI? Heard good things about it. Curious.

typeman

2 more

typeman

anything in particular you want to see?

frailer

Thanks for the look in, typeman. Kind of a cross between PREPS 6 and XMF impo.  Can you drag pages/elements roughly into position, then set offsets in a dialogue box to lock in? Looks as though you can.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

typeman

Quote from: frailer on October 24, 2011, 05:48:41 PMThanks for the look in, typeman. Kind of a cross between PREPS 6 and XMF impo.  Can you drag pages/elements roughly into position, then set offsets in a dialogue box to lock in? Looks as though you can.
Yes. Also, you can shift click 2 or more pages (products) and tell it to align them left, right, top or bottom. Or can click on 2 pages and tell it to switch positions and many other things like that.

frailer

Not sure of the exact history of it, but the original guy who developed PREPS went on to do Metrix. Have heard good things about it. Well integrated with JDF, stuff like that...

t-pat

in our training for preps 6 they went over auto ganging and it reminded me very much of a demo of metrix I saw.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait