Embedding fonts in a PDF

Started by DigiCorn, May 10, 2017, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

We DO NOT have PitStop here, or access to PitStop. I have 137 files, and the fonts aren't embedded. They vary in page count from 1, to over 100 pages. They are not printing correctly, and do not display correctly on Mac, but DO display properly on Windows (but still do not print correctly). In the past, I open the file in Windows, save as a .ps and redistill on Mac and it solves the problem, even if the font still doesn't embed. But I have 137 of these and looking for a better answer. Any ideas?

I know I can use Acrobat tools to create a 0% watermark, and then use the flattener to convert the font to outlines, but remember I have 137 of these, so time is an issue.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

What are you using for a RIP Digi? On Nexus we can input a pdf and it will output an optimized pdf with fonts outlined. I suppose it's just acts as a super fast flattener, but it would work for batching 137 files like yours, if your RIP has capabilities like that. I'm assuming you have already checked though....
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigiCorn

No "RIP," per se... Command Workstation

Having the customer take their PDF and "Print as Image," at 300dpi to a new PDF file seems to be how we have to tackle this issue because of the time frame.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 10, 2017, 01:30:46 PMWe DO NOT have PitStop here, or access to PitStop. I have 137 files, and the fonts aren't embedded. They vary in page count from 1, to over 100 pages. They are not printing correctly, and do not display correctly on Mac, but DO display properly on Windows (but still do not print correctly). In the past, I open the file in Windows, save as a .ps and redistill on Mac and it solves the problem, even if the font still doesn't embed. But I have 137 of these and looking for a better answer. Any ideas?

I know I can use Acrobat tools to create a 0% watermark, and then use the flattener to convert the font to outlines, but remember I have 137 of these, so time is an issue.

Man it sucks to have to work with both hands tied behind your back. There is an Acrobat preflight for outlining all fonts. I use it sometimes and haven't been burned...yet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I would be tempted to buy my own pitstop and take it with me when I leave :(

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on May 10, 2017, 02:38:19 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on May 10, 2017, 01:30:46 PMWe DO NOT have PitStop here, or access to PitStop. I have 137 files, and the fonts aren't embedded. They vary in page count from 1, to over 100 pages. They are not printing correctly, and do not display correctly on Mac, but DO display properly on Windows (but still do not print correctly). In the past, I open the file in Windows, save as a .ps and redistill on Mac and it solves the problem, even if the font still doesn't embed. But I have 137 of these and looking for a better answer. Any ideas?

Man it sucks to have to work with both hands tied behind your back. There is an Acrobat preflight for outlining all fonts. I use it sometimes and haven't been burned...yet.
How do you use it? I only know a workaround trick.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Open your Acrobat Preflight. Under "PDF fixups" is the preflight named "Convert fonts to outlines". Select it. Click the "Analyze and fix" button. It will prompt you with a "Save As..." dialog box.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Got the feeling digi is going to be using that a *real* lot.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

abc

Download free 30 day PitStop trial. Fix problem, pray job never comes back.

pspdfppdfxhd

Buy 12 Macs, setup 12 email addresses, you can use pitstop free for a year.

Just sayin.

pspdfppdfxhd

Smart idea giving a full functioning 30 day trial.

After 30 days you realize you could not do without it.

Farabomb

He already knows, convincing management is the tricky part.  :shoots_self:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

If you explain how much it is costing the shop in terms of your time, delayed production, delayed delivery, etc. then it becomes a more compelling argument. You sell it based on the ROI. "I can save N-number of hours a week solving these problems times Y dollars per hour times Z number of weeks." If you can justify the expense by showing a net savings then it's a simple matter IF they are paying attention to the business case being made.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

pspdfppdfxhd

Well yes, the ROI in our shop has been multi thousand fold for the type of work we do.

Ear

Old school font embedding trick, providing you have the fonts loaded on your system, and active...

In Acrobat, Save As Postscript. Open Distiller, set to Press Quality and fry that .ps back into a PDF. I still do this on occasion, when in a pinch and it works great.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black