Responsive Web Design

Started by Joe, April 11, 2013, 11:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

QuoteWhat is Responsive Web Design (RWD)?

A website with Responsive Web Design means it was designed in a manner which allows the layout to change and fit various screen resolutions accordingly.

Prior to RWD, "Mobile support" means the site has to have at least two different layouts: one for PC/Laptop and one for mobiles. Sometime, it required several: one for PC/Laptop, one for Black Berry, one for iPhone, one for iPad, etc. With time, as more mobile devices are created, the requirement for 'Mobile support' will only keep expanding.
However, with a Responsive Web Design, most devices accessing the site will be seeing the same content and layout, which fluidly adapted itself to fit their screen solution.  This eliminates the need for an ever-expanding repertoire of alternative layout.
Even on PC and laptop, RWS helps make web-browsing more convenient, as the site will change to fit your current resolution and window size, allowing you to avoid scrolling both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

Great theory... :thumbsup:

Making it work... :shoots_self:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

sounds like that liquid layout option in InDesign
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 12, 2013, 07:56:47 AMsounds like that liquid layout option in InDesign

Ahhh it's friday, more like liquid lunch.

:drunk3:

DigiCorn

The pressman isn't here today, and I have no work on my board and I'm the only one here for the next hour. Happy Friday to me!!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Joe

Not only do you have to worry about multiple desktop browsers but now throw in multiple tablet and phone browsers all using the same template. This should keep insane asylums busy for a few more hundred years.

pspdfppdfxhd

And liquor wine and beer sales :drunk3:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 12, 2013, 09:35:48 AMNot only do you have to worry about multiple desktop browsers but now throw in multiple tablet and phone browsers all using the same template. This should keep insane asylums busy for a few more hundred years.

"It just works"
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 12, 2013, 03:24:25 PM
Quote from: Joe on April 12, 2013, 09:35:48 AMNot only do you have to worry about multiple desktop browsers but now throw in multiple tablet and phone browsers all using the same template. This should keep insane asylums busy for a few more hundred years.

"It just works"

liar

gnubler

I'm building a site right now with a proprietary system and about half the time I create a page and save it, it's just gone. I learned the hard way and now copy all the HTML before clicking "save". I asked support about this and they said "we've never encountered that issue." Oh really?  :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 12, 2013, 08:31:57 PMI'm building a site right now with a proprietary system and about half the time I create a page and save it, it's just gone. I learned the hard way and now copy all the HTML before clicking "save". I asked support about this and they said "we've never encountered that issue." Oh really?  :laugh:

File permissions maybe?

I just learned you can use .svg files in Joomla. Scale your ass off with no degradation. SCORE!!!!

I'm working on 2 sites from hell at the moment. I'll be surprised if I survive the weekend. :hangme:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 12, 2013, 08:43:25 PMI just learned you can use .svg files in Joomla. Scale your ass off with no degradation. SCORE!!!!

I'm working on 2 sites from hell at the moment. I'll be surprised if I survive the weekend. :hangme:

How do you save as svg? I know Illy can open them, but save as?

I'm also working on 2 sites and will develop rage at some point today because of it.

Joe

"Save As" .svg out of Illy. If you put any kind of raster content into it you are kind of defeating the purpose though.

gnubler

This is my response to web design