Wide format Proofer Replacement

Started by richertim, January 19, 2017, 06:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richertim

Hello all,
We have reached the point of requiring a new 36" plotter for client proofing. We have one that we use for colour plotters and one that we use for low-resolution content plotters. It's the content plotter that is needing to be replaced. The one we were using was an HP Designjet 1050 and we could print one side and refeed the cut sheet back through to print on the second side and then fold by hand the way the press would fold it to ensure our pagination is correct and then to send to the client. What I'm wondering is what other's are using? We also used to have an HP5500 with a double-sided attachment that would re-feed the paper and print the second side but that one is also shot. So I'm looking for recommendations on printers that would allow us to make a double-sided plotter. 

born2print

I'm not intimate with it, but we have one of these:

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/products/method/gp/pid/640

It may be a good fit for your needs
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

richertim

Do you use yours for double-siding? 

born2print

Yes, as well as ganging, and it's FAST.

richertim

I've seen these set up with 2 for double-sided, are you just using one and then hand flipping the paper? 

born2print

no, sorry, ours is a dual / tandem setup that will spit out 2-sided forms
my link was just 1 unit.

richertim

Ah okay, so that's the Impo-proofer version. I don't think my boss will spring for that much dough. I'm curious though if you can feed the cut sheet back through if using just one machine... 

Farabomb

I remember doing that with Dylux and a barco back in the day. Our digital guy had some magic at his old place where he cut .25 off somewhere and it registered well but I think that will be hit and miss. If they can sell you 2 so you can backup, they might make it hard to backup with just one.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: richertim on January 20, 2017, 11:30:49 AMAh okay, so that's the Impo-proofer version. I don't think my boss will spring for that much dough. I'm curious though if you can feed the cut sheet back through if using just one machine...
That's what we do with the Epsons, but no idea with the Canon as it will duplex from the roll for us, never tried to re-feed a cut sheet.

richertim

Quote from: born2print on January 20, 2017, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: richertim on January 20, 2017, 11:30:49 AMAh okay, so that's the Impo-proofer version. I don't think my boss will spring for that much dough. I'm curious though if you can feed the cut sheet back through if using just one machine...
That's what we do with the Epsons, but no idea with the Canon as it will duplex from the roll for us, never tried to re-feed a cut sheet.

So you're re-feeding epsons for double siding? What model?

born2print

A 9800 and a 9900, fed through and EFI server though, not direct.

Joe

We used to have a couple of Canon 44" printers. We could run a cut sheet back through though not sure how much success you will have getting it to back up correctly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

With the automated tandem setup the backup is SUPURB!

richertim

So what do other prepress departments do for client proofs, or bluelines for the press? Single sided and then glue together?

Joe

We have no printers. They can view a flipbook in Insite for pagination.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.