Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

yeah maybe I need to call them back
maybe he wasn't clear that I meant a refurb
I have never changed Ram on an Imac
you guys think i could do it?
i replaced ram on an old mac before but....
thanks for the ifixit info

Joe

Changing ram on an iMac is very easy. Loosen two screws, pull out the old chips, insert new chips, tighten screws. Done.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Joe operates a tech-call in. Just up for the return air fare from O'Hare.  Oh, and the drive to there, of course...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

O'Hare SUCKS! I remember walking like 3/4 of a mile for a smoke... all indoors.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2011, 07:32:13 PMJoe operates a tech-call in. Just up for the return air fare from O'Hare.  Oh, and the drive to there, of course...

Lambert Field is closer and is the airport I use to fly to my exotic vacation destinations. :sarcasm: I would rather drive around the world than try to drive to O'Hare and fly out of there.

Tracy

ok I will try it! :undecided: :laugh:

frailer

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.  I think on a white  iMac, Joe had to do a major strip down to get RAM in... (suckers on display to lift it off, as I recall). he would not have sent you down that path.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2011, 09:26:13 PMYou have nothing to fear but fear itself.  I think on a white  iMac, Joe had to do a major strip down to get RAM in... (suckers on display to lift it off, as I recall). he would not have sent you down that path.

Ram is easy on all of them. Hard drive replacement is what is not easy. More so on the white one.

Tracy

Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2011, 09:26:13 PMYou have nothing to fear but fear itself.  I think on a white  iMac, Joe had to do a major strip down to get RAM in... (suckers on display to lift it off, as I recall). he would not have sent you down that path.
Thanks! I'm gonna do it!
hope I can get the Snow Leopard!

Should I wait to buy the RAM after I get the computer?

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Tracy

Hi Tap!
Im kinda spazzy huh? :laugh:

tapdn

Don't get memory fron Apple...stop
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2011, 02:42:13 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna do it!
hope I can get the Snow Leopard!

Should I wait to buy the RAM after I get the computer?

Yeah, see what is in it. If it comes with 4 GB it will most likely have to two 2 GB chips in it which I think means you can either add two 2 GB chips to get you to 8 Gb or add two 4 GB chips to get you to 10. Or remove the two 2 GB chips and add in four 4 GB chips to get you to 16 GB. Or four 8 GB chips to get you to 32 GB (very expensive)  :laugh: .

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on December 07, 2011, 03:36:54 PMDon't get memory fron Apple...stop

And yes...Do not buy the memory from Apple. We will hand out demerit points if you do. :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian