Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

You mean JUST the newest Macs, not refurbs, right?
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

the only time I use suitcase is on a particular customers quark file :rolleyes:
once in awhile i can only get it to work on suitcase
I personally think it's the fonts and not FEX
don't know much about fonts but I think some of this custy's fonts are funky
weird she uses quark but also uses cs5 illustrator-go figure that one out

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Tracy on December 30, 2011, 07:31:06 PMthe only time I use suitcase is on a particular customers quark file :rolleyes:
once in awhile i can only get it to work on suitcase
I personally think it's the fonts and not FEX
don't know much about fonts but I think some of this custy's fonts are funky
weird she uses quark but also uses cs5 illustrator-go figure that one out

Yeah, I used to run Suitcase on jobs in OS9, FEX doesn't work. I think the problem with fonts in Quark in not FEX either... it's Quark's font folder that it stores copies of that need to be regularly dumped. That fixed my problem 100%.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I just bought 7 refurbished iMacs. All 7 have Lion on them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on December 30, 2011, 07:38:42 PMI just bought 7 refurbished iMacs. All 7 have Lion on them.

But you could downgrade them to SL if you wanted to and you had the OS disks to do it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 30, 2011, 07:51:48 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 30, 2011, 07:38:42 PMI just bought 7 refurbished iMacs. All 7 have Lion on them.

But you could downgrade them to SL if you wanted to and you had the OS disks to do it.

Not without hacking them. The firmware in Macs that ship with Lion will not let you install an earlier version. In fact, if you try and fail by erasing your hard drive and trying to install an earlier version, it will render the Mac un-bootable and the only way to get it back is to buy another copy of Lion at the app store for $29 because Lion Macs do not come with a restore DVD. There is a restore partition on the HD but there is just enough info to get it booted into the restore screen and connect to your router via DHCP and it downloads all 4 glorious gigabyte of OS from an Apple server somewhere in the world. Best bet is as soon as you have your Lion Mac booted for the first time is to make a Time Machine full backup. You can restore it from there. I found all of this out the hard way.  :embarrassed:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on December 30, 2011, 07:59:40 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 30, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

Not without hacking them. The firmware in Macs that ship with Lion will not let you install an earlier version. In fact, if you try and fail by erasing your hard drive and trying to install an earlier version, it will render the Mac un-bootable and the only way to get it back is to buy another copy of Lion at the app store for $29 because Lion Macs do not come with a restore DVD. There is a restore partition on the HD but there is just enough info to get it booted into the restore screen and connect to your router via DHCP and it downloads all 4 glorious gigabyte of OS from an Apple server somewhere in the world. Best bet is as soon as you have your Lion Mac booted for the first time is to make a Time Machine full backup. You can restore it from there. I found all of this out the hard way.  :embarrassed:

My god, what a nightmare. Thanks for the info. I imagine my customer I told to downgrade is cussing me up one side and down another right now. That is THE biggest cluster-fuck. Why would Apple forsake us like this? Oh yeah... money. Again, thanks for the info, Joe. I'm out of here, have a great New Years. To everyone.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Well, walk past any Apple Store... full of clusters of cluster f@^*kers. That's our 'club' now.   :rolleyes:  +  :embarrassed:  Segue to The Who... "Won't Get Fooled Again".  :shrug:

But I guess it's all getting easier, really. Not a bad thing.

One benefit of those hoods is opening one particular compadres's email's at work. He can catch you out sometimes....   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

tapdn

Would love to upgrade my home iMac to Lion for iCloud to connect my other devices to share music and apps, but still have a couple of Classic/ PPC apps to upgrade or replace. For work (if I still actually did any work) I would try to stick with 10.6.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Actually it's not going that bad with Lion. SMB works a lot better and you can now copy fonts from old windows 2000 servers where the fonts had been copied via AFP without the fonts being destroyed (zero kb). As I've said before the only two problems we've had is an old version of FileMaker Pro and Preps 5.3.3. Both can be solved by upgrading. We already have Preps 6.2 so all we have to do is learn how to use it. We bought a copy of FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced because it can create runtime applications of our databases. Unfortunately the runtime apps can't be used in a networked manner so each individual app would have their own databases instead of being able to use one central database that everyone can access. So that's not going to work and it's over $2,000 to upgrade everyone to the regular FileMaker Pro. I think I'm going to take a look at Bento and see if it meets our needs ($49 per copy) or even the free database that comes with Libre Office. We upgraded all of our Creative Suites to 5.5 but still need CS3 on a couple of computers due to file exchanges needed with people that are still using it. It installs fine however, Adobe has killed off the CS3 update servers so you can't get updates that way so you have to manually download all of the updates from their web site. Some of the updaters, like the Illustrator updaters, are PPC applications that won't run. The Indy and Photoshop updaters work OK though.

As far as OS X Lion itself...I'm really starting to like it. Launch Pad is neat and the revamped spaces are pretty sweet too. You can now set a different background for each space and you can re-arrange them as well. Also any Lion compatible application has a full screen button. When you invoke it, it is automatically put in it's own new space. Exit full screen and it goes back to it's original space and the temporary space is deleted. When used efficiently it makes it seem like you have more screen real estate which is good for us since we only got the 21.5" iMacs and not the 27" model. I'm still iffy on the "Resume" feature. It's nice if your application crashes...when you re-open the app all of your work is still there. However, if you create a document and don't save it and close the app it does not ask you if you want to save it. The next time the app is opened...there it is. The work around is to close the document before you close the app. When you close it, it will ask you if you want to save it. After it is closed you can exit the app without fear of it popping up the next time you re-start the app. Overall though, Lion seems to be a big improvement over Snow Leopard to me if you can part with your old PPC apps.

Note: AFP networking to Windows 2000 servers no longer works. The Mac AFP is no longer compatible with it.

tapdn

:goodpost:

...actually not being ask if I want to save before quitting an app would be an advantage (to me). There is times I need to restart or quit all open apps and it's a pain to have to go through all the decisions do you want to save. Thanks, Joe.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Tracy

indesign cs5 Design Premium or Standard?
Standard is cheaper is there something better in the Premium?

Ear

Better than Premium? Like Adobe Über-Design?  :toaster:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Quote from: Tracy on January 03, 2012, 11:52:59 AMindesign cs5 Design Premium or Standard?
Standard is cheaper is there something better in the Premium?

you get more stuff in the premium version.

and, it's Premium.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

:laugh: Higher Octane... keeps you from pinging.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black