RAM really cheap as chips

Started by frailer, November 09, 2011, 05:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Son just got 8GB stick for his MacBook Pro.... $57.00 (OWC).

Anyone sussed anything on the Thai flooding sending up HDD prices?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on November 09, 2011, 05:25:23 AMAnyone sussed anything on the Thai flooding sending up HDD prices?

No. I just bought 2 750Gb externals for $60 each. The store had a "limit of 2 due to flooding in Thailand" but the shelves were full of stock.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 09, 2011, 05:25:23 AMSon just got 8GB stick for his MacBook Pro.... $57.00 (OWC).

Anyone sussed anything on the Thai flooding sending up HDD prices?

Depends on the Mac evidently as I just paid $80 for a 4 gb stick for my iMac at work...from OWC.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

I like OWC a lot, but the last time I tried to buy from them they wanted me to jump thru all kinds of hoops to use the same bank card I have always used. Security crap I'm sure, but still a pain in the butt... I went with Crucial.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

almaink

Ya I picked up 8 gigs for my iMac from OWC last month for $57 bucks. Got 12 gigs in this puppy now. Amazing when you consider I paid over $500 for 8, 64 meg chips back when I bought my PM8600/300.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

My 2008 iMac uses DDR2 chips. I guess they are more expensive than the newer DDR3 chips.

tapdn

Quote from: Joe on November 09, 2011, 01:07:34 PMMy 2008 iMac uses DDR2 chips. I guess they are more expensive than the newer DDR3 chips.
Got some in my old imac out in the garage if you need more.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

My iMac has 2 2gb chips. It came from the factory with a max amount of RAM of 4 gb but OWC pushes the limits and can make it work with 6 gb so I bought another 4 gb chip to take it to the max ram. Four was bogging down with both Mac OX 10.6.8 and Windows 7 both running. Now I can give Windows 7 a full 2 gb while the Mac has 4. Everyone should play nicely together now.