imposing a perpetual calendar?

Started by wonderings, June 04, 2020, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

I have never seen one or heard of this type of calendar. We have one to setup, it is 368 pages that will be made into a perpetual calendar. The issue is the file supplied is in order Jan 1, Jan 2, Jan 3, etc. The way it needs to be setup is page 1 is backed up by page 368, page 2 backed up by 367, page 3 backed up by 366, etc etc etc.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on doing this with a PDF? All I can come up with is re-ordering the PDF manually before imposing. I have an old version of preps and latest version of Imposition Studio Pro

Joe

Unless I am missing something a saddle stitch template should back them up that way. How many press runs and pages per press run is this for?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on June 04, 2020, 11:38:19 AM
Unless I am missing something a saddle stitch template should back them up that way. How many press runs and pages per press run is this for?

If the page order was correct it would, in this case page 1 needs to have 368 on the back, 2 - 367, 3 - 366, etc.

I have attached a numbered PDF. This represents what I have received from the client. So page order really should be 1,368,2,367,3,366,4,365,5,364.....

Thanks!

Joe

A saddle stitch imposition does number it like as page 1 backs up with 368, p2 backs up with 367, etc...

If you put the run list with pages 1 - 368 in that order Preps will back them up as above. Of course it will need to be multiple press runs. For example that would be 23 press runs with each signature of 16 pages.. The first signature would be pages 1 - 8 and pages 361 - 368 and the pages would be backed up as:

1 - 368
2 - 367
3 - 366
4 - 365
5 - 364
6 - 363
7 - 362
8 - 361

born2print

I am missing something? Saddlestitch will backup 1 with 2, it will face 1 with 368 as a spread...
or am I missing something to do with calendar style or???
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Whoops you are correct. While 1 and 368 would be next to each other on the sig....P1 and P368 would be backed up by P2 and P367. I didn't get my coffee this morning. :zounds:

born2print

AaronH

Quote from: wonderings on June 04, 2020, 11:01:49 AM
I have never seen one or heard of this type of calendar. We have one to setup, it is 368 pages that will be made into a perpetual calendar. The issue is the file supplied is in order Jan 1, Jan 2, Jan 3, etc. The way it needs to be setup is page 1 is backed up by page 368, page 2 backed up by 367, page 3 backed up by 366, etc etc etc.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on doing this with a PDF? All I can come up with is re-ordering the PDF manually before imposing. I have an old version of preps and latest version of Imposition Studio Pro

What version of InDesign do you have? You could split the page up into pages named 1.pdf, 2.pdf, 3.pdf, etc. Then drop a frame into your indesign document and tell it to place the Order file in the frame. See the dropbox links for csv and xlsx files for how I setup the variable part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0s4fsp75scomwy/368.csv?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv3n5610x98ssd2/368.xlsx?dl=0
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

Here's a dropbox link with INDD and an IDML, links and everything you'd need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5vz7oq8sr8270q/368.zip?dl=0

I extracted the PDF pages as separate files into my Links folder, then renamed them by replacing "368 " with no space in Finder. Otherwise your file names would be something like "368 1.pdf", "368 2.pdf" and so on.

I selected my .csv as my data source from the Data Merge window in InDesign. Then chose export to PDF from the Data Merge window's Menu.

wonderings

Quote from: AaronH on June 04, 2020, 02:34:01 PM
Here's a dropbox link with INDD and an IDML, links and everything you'd need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5vz7oq8sr8270q/368.zip?dl=0

I extracted the PDF pages as separate files into my Links folder, then renamed them by replacing "368 " with no space in Finder. Otherwise your file names would be something like "368 1.pdf", "368 2.pdf" and so on.

I selected my .csv as my data source from the Data Merge window in InDesign. Then chose export to PDF from the Data Merge window's Menu.

Thanks!

I was dreaming that there might be some way in my imposition software to automate this a bit more. Looks like still a fair bit of hand work to make the excel file for the data merge.

AaronH

You bet! Yeah there's a bit of setup to be sure. It took me about 10 minutes to get it all setup. Concatenate is an amazing Excel function.

born2print

Concatenate... word of the day right there. :thumbsup: