opening photos in photoshop and screen is green

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 27, 2021, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: david on August 24, 2021, 03:36:10 PM
Pro Tip:

Never volunteer

:death:

Yep I learned that in the military. It has served me well over the years.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

Believe me I tried. They said, "this is a new customer and we want to impress them." I said, "we can start by ditching Constant Contact." They said, "no that it needs to be done in that program, here is the clients log in. I hope you're familiar with it." I said, "I've never even heard of it." They said, "try your best." So I tried my best and I'm charging them for 3 hours for something that should have taken 30 min.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

To be fair...if people are going to send "legitimate" mass emails they really need to use something like Constant Contacts because if you do you won't get flagged as a spammer like you will if you just started sending out hundreds or thousands of emails from a generic business or personal email address. In business it is sort of a necessary evil but it is not something that needs to be done by a good designer/prepress person. It should be something the receptionist should do.

Skryber

The client said, "I don't want it to be so long and narrow." Can't do anything about it. "I want to be able to add footnotes." Nope. Guess who had to add a metric fuck ton of footnotes manually? CC does not honor any formatting and doing it manually sometimes doesn't work either. I get what you're saying but they are a statewide law group that hold conferences for CLEs. They are calling them newsletters, but they are handfuls of essays from various contributors. I deal with a lot of these groups all over the country and they simply add PDF newsletters to their website and you need to be a member to access them. Pilcrows and section signs are a must. Formatting is HUGE. One of the contributors footnotes are longer than her article. So while you're working, you're manually adding footnotes in CC and have to scroll an hour to the top and change the font and superscript, or whatever, and scroll all the way back down and try to remember where you left off and do the same for the footnotes. It's not meant for this type of work. I set up the first one and they are supposed to use my template for future newsletters. I KNOW it's going to turn into me doing it because it's a pain in the ass. I asked about a very general newsletter with links to the "articles," but they said no. They want it all there. Dumb. My plan is to charge them double the time if they are going to have me set up future newsletters. If it takes me 3 hours, I will charge for 6.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Tracy

You know their going to pay for the 6  :laugh:
nice try tho!

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on August 25, 2021, 08:02:37 AM
The client said, "I don't want it to be so long and narrow." Can't do anything about it. "I want to be able to add footnotes." Nope. Guess who had to add a metric fuck ton of footnotes manually? CC does not honor any formatting and doing it manually sometimes doesn't work either. I get what you're saying but they are a statewide law group that hold conferences for CLEs. They are calling them newsletters, but they are handfuls of essays from various contributors. I deal with a lot of these groups all over the country and they simply add PDF newsletters to their website and you need to be a member to access them. Pilcrows and section signs are a must. Formatting is HUGE. One of the contributors footnotes are longer than her article. So while you're working, you're manually adding footnotes in CC and have to scroll an hour to the top and change the font and superscript, or whatever, and scroll all the way back down and try to remember where you left off and do the same for the footnotes. It's not meant for this type of work. I set up the first one and they are supposed to use my template for future newsletters. I KNOW it's going to turn into me doing it because it's a pain in the ass. I asked about a very general newsletter with links to the "articles," but they said no. They want it all there. Dumb. My plan is to charge them double the time if they are going to have me set up future newsletters. If it takes me 3 hours, I will charge for 6.

I'd definitely make them pay for their stupidity.

Skryber

Quote from: Tracy on August 25, 2021, 08:54:36 AM
You know their going to pay for the 6  :laugh:
nice try tho!

Damnit! I need another plan. :rotf:

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

scottrsimons

Being good at stuff is how I get all the crap jobs too.
But if you really want the customer to choose a different way, asking them to pay double is not good enough. They will think about it and then say it's worth it. If you go just over double, then they will have to seriously think about it. At least that has been my experience. Most can justify double, but not more than that. And if they can, that way you will be happy getting paid more than double your fee to do the crap job(s).
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Possum

Boy you guys are lucky. I never had any say in what customers were charged, and ours rarely paid extra for anything. In the years I worked on tee shirt designs they all paid the same flat rate, whether fixing their art took 20 minutes or 4 hours.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Skryber

I never have a say in what my 9 - 5 job charges customers but that was for my side gig.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on August 26, 2021, 01:37:43 PM
Boy you guys are lucky. I never had any say in what customers were charged, and ours rarely paid for anything. In the years I worked on tee shirt designs they all paid the same flat rate, whether fixing their art took 20 minutes or 4 hours.

Fixed!