Navigator and Epson 9000

Started by rickself, August 26, 2021, 01:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Howdy!
I've been reading previous posts and threads about how slow the Epson proofers are compared to the Canons. But Xitron Navigator pushes the Epson proofers, not even mentioning other brands. For that reason I'm strongly looking at the Epson SureColor P9000 Commercial Edition. I'd like to run stock that we will eventually print on - 16-28pt SBS, SSNB, C1S, etc. for folding cartons.
Have things gotten any better for Epson?
Any input is appreciated.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

David

still have to use Epson papers...

beautiful color on the Epson
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

The Canon is indeed fast, especially with 2 heads / backup. But the color is not "contract quality"... at least on ours. We use Epsons for that.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

rickself

Still have to use Epson papers? Wow, I thought i had read that for prepress and commercial printing, you can use sheets up to 1.5mm thick, which comes to 50-60pt stock.
That sucks.
Any printers out there that can take sheet fed SBS or CCNB?
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

born2print

We've had limited / specific luck making an Epson on stock instead of Epson paper, but it is hit & miss.... so we officially say "no job stock, epson papers only"

Joe

Oh I remember color printers. I don't miss them. We do supply color PDF proofs though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

...and I've been jealous of that for quite a while. No one seems to even look at the stupid things.

David

Quote from: born2print on August 26, 2021, 03:40:38 PM
No one seems to even look at the stupid things.

they are supposed to look at those?!?!
damn, I thought I did that just for busy work.

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on August 26, 2021, 03:42:27 PM
Quote from: born2print on August 26, 2021, 03:40:38 PM
No one seems to even look at the stupid things.

they are supposed to look at those?!?!
damn, I thought I did that just for busy work.

:hangme:

Well they gotta pay you for something!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I've dealt a lot with Epsons, and they've always been rock solid for me. EFI Color (now EFI Fiery XF) is a pretty good, albeit limited, driver. I HATED ONYX.

YES, I agree that Epson paper is the best, and failing that, Alameda is a damn good cheaper substitute.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

joch230

We've used CGS paper rolls with our Epsons for years. It's a good product.