Prepress Positions WI & IL

Started by Foozball, November 04, 2021, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 09, 2021, 12:56:47 PM
I worked union too, yep you can't do anybody's work, you can't start 1 minute before shift
and so many workers you wanted to do someone else's work  :laugh:
(lots of standing around)

And especially don't try doing another's job on overtime. They would kill you multiple times for that.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: born2print on November 09, 2021, 12:50:48 PM
My experience was the opposite. I did shipping / receiving, deliveries, bindery... THEN prepress from the bottom (filing, contacting, camera helper, color keys and bluelines)
I think it gave me a much better understanding of what it takes to make product as good as it could or should be.
There's other prepressers that really don't even understand things like binding styles or sig IDs by contrast. They may even know what to do mostly but don't truly understand it so if a wrench gets thrown in they are helpless.
I much prefer production background to a rebaked designer or Kinkos type person.

You perfectly defined a lot of prepress people that only want to be shown how to do specific things instead of learning why you have to do those things.

Foozball

:cane:
If I remember correctly, there's a "trick" to the blood sausage in the cooking ... if you don't slow cook them, they "look" and smell great, but when you cut into it ... it's straight up raw, and the blood will run and ruin your whole plate!
Much like some employees, they look/act right but the moment the pressure is applied ... that person you're excited to work with, goes to CRAP and your dreams are ruined.

Those EXTRA skills in printing are key to our survival ... I have a few years under my belt now, helping customer-graphics teams, work through a heap of corporate "ideal plans", as they don't have production experience or knowledge in die-cutting ... I gained most of that experience at times when prepress wasn't busy.

Possum

The more understanding you have as to the rest of the processes, the better you can do your job and help the job get finished on schedule. You probably won't ever get credit for that, but if you can make the job easier for the next person in the process, it goes a long way toward making a more pleasant workplace.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

the deal about knowing the processs, is that your main job is to make the next persons job easier.

sadly, that only works from prepress down, if it only started at the dezinger.

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ksm1701

Not sure if it's true wherever in the world you might be based, but here in the UK, most of the 'Blood Sausage' types I have every worked with have all tended to end up as department managers!

Tracy

Skryber

Quote from: David on November 09, 2021, 04:31:25 PM
the deal about knowing the processs, is that your main job is to make the next persons job easier.

Hey hey now.....starts at this designer. I have a BAS in multimedia where they taught you how to do everything wrong (so I kind of understand where they get it from), then started a job in a bindery, moved onto prepress, learned how to run the presses, got into digital, and THEN started freelance designing. There are NO issues with my files. :rotf:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on November 10, 2021, 04:30:33 PM

Hey hey now.....starts at this designer. I have a BAS in multimedia where they taught you how to do everything wrong (so I kind of understand where they get it from), then started a job in a bindery, moved onto prepress, learned how to run the presses, got into digital, and THEN started freelance designing. There are NO issues with my files. :rotf:

You are the exception to the rule. The designers of the world would be a lot better at their job if they had to do 3 months of hard time prepress before they would be allowed to touch a design application.

Possum

I used the be the designer (although I spent most of my time fixing other people's crap). I always tried to make the next guy's job easier, especially with screen printing. It just made sense to me and kept my coworkers from hating me too much. Self preservation goes a long way.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Foozball

Just a reminder over the original intention of this post ... if you have solid prepress skills and am "on the fence" about your future, figure out a price (then add padding), apply and PLEASE HELP ME!

My day today ...  :shoots_self: :hangme: :death: :banghead: :shoots_self: :shoots_self: :shoots_self:
:facepalm:

Joe

Quote from: Foozball on November 11, 2021, 03:07:20 PM
Just a reminder over the original intention of this post ... if you have solid prepress skills and am "on the fence" about your future, figure out a price (then add padding), apply and PLEASE HELP ME!

My day today ...  :shoots_self: :hangme: :death: :banghead: :shoots_self: :shoots_self: :shoots_self:

My day everyday ...  :shoots_self: :hangme: :death: :banghead: :shoots_self: :shoots_self: :shoots_self: