Starting off...

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, March 05, 2008, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I have used HTML Dog and Sitepoint for various tutes. I find the W3C sites very dry and boring (as if coding is exciting to begin with...  :sleepy: )

I have a whole folder of bookmarked links that I refer to regarding web dev - if I get unbusy later I'll post some of my favorites here.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Hey Joe - I got Joomla rage tonight. Tried working on one of my sites...tried being the key word. These free components & plugins just don't fucking work. Wasted an hour of my life before just signing out. Not worth it.

One component gave me a PHP string error when trying to save a page, so I finally dumped it. Two others left me totally clueless - no documentation or instructions on how to actually use it. That's what you get for free now.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I think Joomla is the worst at this now...as I mentioned earlier, there are almost no free components, plug-ins, or templates for Joomla that are worthwhile. Most of the free stuff is junk.

I'm digging Concrete5 CMS lately. Even with it though the cool stuff is not free.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I can't believe the downfall in just one year. It's not that I'm against paying for tools that actually work, but if the free/demo versions pop up errors right away I don't have much faith in the paid versions.

Joe

Yes, it seems like the last year or so it has gotten a lot worse. I agree I wouldn't mind paying for good software but there is so much garbage out there it's hard to find the few diamonds in the rough.

frailer

Just putting this here, for general interest, as I was on lynddotcom and noticed it under "New releases". The free accessible ones are the ones not greyed out. (Well, D'uh!  :laugh: )

http://www.lynda.com/training//61221-2.html
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

What the hell did I get myself into? I'll be reading a lot of the links posted here soon.  :death: :drunk3:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on March 16, 2011, 08:48:11 AMWhat the hell did I get myself into?

:hello: :drunk3:

You have my condolences.

Joe

You haven't got your fancysmancywebtoprint site up and running yet? It's been almost 24 hours man. :sarcasm:

gnubler

See how excited he was just a day ago? It wears off quickly. Wait 'til you get into cross browser compatibility...it'll make you love IE more than you ever dreamed possible.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on March 16, 2011, 09:37:35 AMSee how excited he was just a day ago? It wears off quickly. Wait 'til you get into cross browser compatibility...it'll make you love IE more than you ever dreamed possible.

IE 9 is the fastest and most standards compliant browser ever made ~ Bill Gates

gnubler

Now can you post your favorite quote by Steve Jobs? My day will be unfulfilled until you do so. Thanks.

Farabomb

What did Fbomb learn today?

Dreamweaver sucks.
Code is a lot different from when I was screwing around with it in '99.
Make sure your domain is in your control.
Trust no one when it comes to money.
I have a hell of a lot to learn.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Quote from: gnubler on March 16, 2011, 10:32:12 AMNow can you post your favorite quote by Steve Jobs? My day will be unfulfilled until you do so. Thanks.

QuoteI am the lord of all. Do not question the turtleneck.  -Steve Jobs

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Doesn't he use the words "exponential" and "visionary" a lot?