Fat Chance on XMF, unless......

Started by Grimace, May 07, 2010, 03:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

^ that's the approach we took with this. We priced out a new CTP, now we will do a refurb proposal.
My hope is that they don't try to save a few thousand dollars going with some bare bones impo system.
I will really push for XMF, because, like you said, the tap will dry out. Also when they want to implement a digital press 3 years form now(speculation) I don't want them to think we are "All set" with the stripped down software they "just bought".

frailer

Your concerns are well-founded, grimace. What you know you got, and what they think you may may be 2 different things. And, as Joe says, vendors sometimes like charging double for something you could have included first time round. I think often it's the parent Co., not the local agent. Punishment for poor "selling"?   :laugh:
And don't forget that single vs multiple impo seats in XMF.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

impodave

Grimace,

How many plates do you make a month ???   How many bluelines do you make in a month ??

Aren't you the one that said plates sit ready for press for up to 2 weeks, or was that someone else I'm thinking of ???

I think Joe's guestimate of doubling your productivity is very conservative.

But if you're not making enough plates, it's possible that it may not pay for itself...
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Grimace

Quote from: impodave on May 12, 2010, 01:13:09 PMGrimace,

How many plates do you make a month ???   How many bluelines do you make in a month ??

Aren't you the one that said plates sit ready for press for up to 2 weeks, or was that someone else I'm thinking of ???

I think Joe's guestimate of doubling your productivity is very conservative.

But if you're not making enough plates, it's possible that it may not pay for itself...

Yeah, that was me. For sure we don't go through a ton of plates, but regardless, every plate we do make usually has film, mylar, masks, and chemicals (and disposal service fees) and blueline associated with it. The plates we use now we pay about twice as much for, because we don't get preference price that we would with a Platesetter purchase.

We would save about 30-40 grand a year in just plates, the less known savings would be from press time, make ready and bindery. So, even though it would be 3 years at current production rate, the idea would be that we could get more done on press, hence more plates, equals even more savings.
Our presses (or pressmen) are the bottle neck in our shop. If we can get them better and more consistant  quality, they should output more. If not, they run out of excuses and then....

impodave

I think that sort of (pressroom)bottleneck is universal, especially in small operations.  Theres a lot to be said for plates where the image is perfectly consistent position-wise from one job to the next , especially if you're running internal plate punching on your setter.  Then again,  the documents have to be right too to start with.  I initially fought the move to CTP because of the volume of the film I was rejecting at the stripping table, now I find myself just checking it more in during impo and proofing.   In our operation our document people lack the knowledge to make impo decisions on their own.... :sad:
  So, at times, getting the plates right can still be a challenge......  :huh:

Good luck to you.....
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...