check out the smartphone app inventor

Started by David, July 19, 2011, 01:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

This is actually kinda fun, but it shows how to build apps for Android phones. If you don't happen to have an Android phone, it has a built in emulator.

The best part, it's free.

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on July 19, 2011, 01:34:55 PMThis is actually kinda fun, but it shows how to build apps for Android phones. If you don't happen to have an Android phone, it has a built in emulator.

The best part, it's free.

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

was actually playing with this last week because I have an app idea. I got as far as making the cat meow when you click the screen. Then I got bored.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

I did the kitty purr, the mole mash, and the paint pot, working on the pic call now.
At least you can learn what a procedure is, a procedure with result, variables, math functions with logic controls are. It is easy to do, all with a graphical interface.
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on July 19, 2011, 02:05:32 PMI did the kitty purr, the mole mash, and the paint pot, working on the pic call now.
At least you can learn what a procedure is, a procedure with result, variables, math functions with logic controls are. It is easy to do, all with a graphical interface.

good, when you're an expert you can build my app for me :)
vdp donkey

delooch

Quote from: david on July 19, 2011, 02:05:32 PMI did the kitty purr, the mole mash, and the paint pot, working on the pic call now.
try that on your iphone

David

to do an iPhone, it'll cost you minimum 99 dollars a year (to be a developer), plus.
I'm liking the free one for now.

Gotta learn it somewhere, somehow.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Awesome. Picked up a droid charge a little while ago and after growing some sack I rooted it and have been changing all sorts of things. Been thinking about developing apps/ROMS and such for it. Good find.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2011, 02:31:46 PMAwesome. Picked up a droid charge a little while ago and after growing some sack I rooted it and have been changing all sorts of things. Been thinking about developing apps/ROMS and such for it. Good find.

rooted my mt4g a month or so ago, all via the phone. Was a piece of cake.

Did my wife's 3g slide this weekend. omfg. what a chore. And then it turns out nobody's cooked a fully functional gingerbread/sense rom, just stupid CM7 with ADW.
vdp donkey

David

I though it was pretty handy. I was perusing other sites and searching for more info when that one popped up.

I wish others would do the same, as far as a free educational tool.
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on July 19, 2011, 02:35:27 PMI though it was pretty handy. I was perusing other sites and searching for more info when that one popped up.

I wish others would do the same, as far as a free educational tool.

you have to hand it to the goog as far as being developer friendly, say what you will about them screening apps for malware and so forth, but they do hold to open source and free as much as seems reasonable.
vdp donkey

delooch

still havent had the balls to root the samsung galaxy. I picked up a motorola cliq and a G1 from ebay for cheap, to have my way with.. still waiting for the damn things to ship.

a guy here hacked his old G1 using a google voice account, its pretty much free cellphone use as long as theres a wifi network around.

used to hack my old HTC shadow (windows mobile).. loved screwing with that stuff

Farabomb

The charge was simple to do but I still managed to soft brick it once. I can switch ROMs on the fly with CWM but the backup option in CWM is broken on my charge (known issue, some work others don't). By far the best thing I did was the Voodoo lagfix that changes Samsung's proprietary file system to EXT4. Damn thing is stupid quick now. The GF has the Tbolt but I'm still working on figuring out the charge before I attempt to screw around with hers. I just downloaded the android SDK this morning. Now I need to find some old android phones cheap/free so I can screw around. I'm not risking the $600+ retail they want for this phone.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Check out android central and XDA developers for great info and help.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2011, 02:42:13 PM...I'm not risking the $600+ retail they want for this phone.

meow meow here puss puss puss :whip:
vdp donkey

David

Livin' la Vida Loca