Hydraulic Guillotine Paper Cutter

Started by Skryber, March 08, 2012, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

I'm looking for a used cutter for our digital jobs. Something no bigger than 20" cut length and hydraulic clamp. Not picky about programmable or manual back gauge. Bossman is looking for a good deal on a used one. I'm not sure why, we have a place that cuts our jobs for free but he asked me to find one. PM me if you have something we might be interested in. Thanks!
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

Quote from: Skryber on March 08, 2012, 09:49:16 AMI'm looking for a used cutter for our digital jobs. Something no bigger than 20" cut length and hydraulic clamp. Not picky about programmable or manual back gauge. Bossman is looking for a good deal on a used one. I'm not sure why, we have a place that cuts our jobs for free but he asked me to find one. PM me if you have something we might be interested in. Thanks!

I'll ask around, a good friend of mine is always coming across printing equipment that needs to be sold. He has access to a roll off flatbed truck to move it with too.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

he's usually pretty in tune with what shop is circling the drain next too.
vdp donkey

Ear

umm... go ahead and be picky about a programmable back gauge. Cutting with a hand crank is cute at first but gets old REAL quick.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Skryber

I had both at the last shop. I love programmable back gauges but we so don't need that here. I think the "small" one (manual back gauge) we had was 40" maybe 42". The only thing I refused to cut on that were business cards. Of course those suck to cut period. The big Wohlenberg was 54" I believe with a Knorr Jogger. When I talk to my new boss about the cutters we had, I refer to them as the big and small cutter. The "small" one didn't burn in the fire but I think it rusted. Anyway, after telling him that it might still work he said "well I've seen cutters that can cut a whole ream of paper!" :lmao: I had to redefine what I meant by "small". Oh the digital world.

Ear

Quote from: Skryber on March 08, 2012, 11:55:58 AMI had both at the last shop. I love programmable back gauges but we so don't need that here. I think the "small" one (manual back gauge) we had was 40" maybe 42". The only thing I refused to cut on that were business cards. Of course those suck to cut period. The big Wohlenberg was 54" I believe with a Knorr Jogger. When I talk to my new boss about the cutters we had, I refer to them as the big and small cutter. The "small" one didn't burn in the fire but I think it rusted. Anyway, after telling him that it might still work he said "well I've seen cutters that can cut a whole ream of paper!" :lmao: I had to redefine what I meant by "small". Oh the digital world.

:laugh: ... change ream to carton and we're talking.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

t-pat

I learned how to cut on something with this:

It also had a giant wheel on top for the clamp, you spun this wheel for what seemed like days and the clamp came down on a big screw, then you'd tug on it hard to clamp the paper down.

It had 2 big steampunk levers on it, one "safety" and one "cut"  -- the "cut" one was like a jackpot handle but if you didn't let go of it you'd get your hand slammed into the frame. Oh yeah, it had a giant iron flywheel driven by a big leather belt.

Fuckin thing was terrifying. Oh yeah then someone broke the "safety" lever so it basically could cut both your arms off.

vdp donkey

Ear

pfft  :rolleyes: that's still high tech. Hell, I learned how to cut with one of these.

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on March 08, 2012, 01:50:47 PMpfft  :rolleyes: that's still high tech. Hell, I learned how to cut with one of these.

that's what the bed looked like on this old cutter. I'd have to go over it with steel wool and car wax every so often. No air. Still have nightmares about cutting skids and skids of press stock on that pile.

One day we sold it to some people we didn't like very much, and laughed our asses off when they pulled out of the dock and hit the curb and the thing fell over on the skid it was on and came out the side of the rental truck. Guess you can't tie down a cutter with telephone cord.
vdp donkey

t-pat

Finally got in contact with my friend regarding a cutter, he has a line on a nice 20" Challenge with hydraulic clamp and digital readout, somewhere in the $1500-ish range. He set the guy up with all his equipment and it all runs but he wound up never opening the shop, so he's beyond circling the drain.

I'm waiting for a text with the contact info for the guy and when I get it I'll send it on to you with a reference of how you heard of it.

vdp donkey

Skryber

Great, thanks! That sounds perfect!

t-pat

oh and I remember this because he and I had one - DO NOT get a Triumph electric, they're dangerous as hell.
vdp donkey

Ear

Ya, those little Challenge cutters are pretty good as far as cheapy cutters go. Easy to square the backgauge too.

delooch

Quote from: t-pat on March 15, 2012, 12:07:34 PMoh and I remember this because he and I had one - DO NOT get a Triumph electric, they're dangerous as hell.

dangerous? please elaborate. Mine just likes to jam the paper clamp against the lift and not release.  requires a service call to un-stick it. usually happens when theres some quick-rush emergency.