Distorting art that has a clipping path

Started by CMYKFrustrated, September 19, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMYKFrustrated

Currently, (Illustrator CS5) the arc or envelope warp function uses the CONTENTS of a clipping path, whether masked or not, rather than the BOUNDS OF THE CLIPPING PATH, to determine the bounding box to start the warp/arc from.

I wish the arc/warp mechanics worked like they do for align. What's visible with the clipping path on the art is what is aligned to. (Not everything underneath that clipping path that's not even visible [unless you are in wireframe mode]).

I'm trying to find a way to distort (arc) rectangular art that bleeds (and usually has lots extraneous art hidden under the clipping path) without Illustrator using the extraneous art to calculate the arc. Anyone know of a plug in for Illustrator where Illustrator would "ignore" this extra and just use the shape of the clipping path as the "active" area to calculate the warp? (The extra stuff can go along for the arc/warp...I just don't want it overly distorting the art where it sticks out a lot on one side or another.)

If not Illustrator...anyone know of any system that will do this? A few years ago I witnessed Esko's warping...and to my dismay....it worked just like Illustrator.

I've quickly tried Illustrator CS6...but it seems to do the same...unless I'm missing something.

Any ideas?

Currently I have to rip into the art and manually clip it back (photos and vector) so it doesn't extend past the bleed so this doesn't happen.

DigitalCrapShoveler

So, let me get this right... you want the art for the arc to be parallel on both sides within the clipping mask? Am I understanding you correctly? If not, maybe you should post a couple screenshots to verify what exactly it is you are asking.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I can think of a few workarounds for what I think you are describing, but hard to elaborate without actually seeing it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Many, many years ago, there used to be a useful AI plug-in called envelopes, but I think it became the AI tool you are currently using.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

CMYKFrustrated

Imagine that an artist sent you rectangular art, that you then have to warp to wrap around a cup.

The art has placed photos (in Illustrator), along with some vector shapes and type that can't be distorted beyond legibility. The photos, of course, extend way beyond the bleed on a side (or two). A clipping path is on top of all indicating the rectangular shape that should be warped. Is there a way to warp by using this rectangular shape so that the extraneous stuff is ignored?

born2print

Could you use layers to help separate the art to distort from the rest?
If so, not sure the distort feature would honor layers... :shrug:

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigitalCrapShoveler

That would be a lot easier to do in Photoshop. Of course, you will have to rasterize all the vector, but does that even matter?
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hahaha, no actually it depends on the output intent of the file itself. Is this piece being distorted for packaging for final print, or is he making a mock-up to show placement of the said artwork on the intended final object. In this case, a cup.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

What makes you so sure Frustrated is a "he"
Don't forget you've been burned by that b4  :lmao:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Jiminy Cricket? :lmao:

It really doesn't matter. You're are 100% correct. I have TOTALLY been burned by that. I think MORE than a time or 2. I can't help it, I'm a Prepress pig. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Grimace

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 19, 2012, 12:52:23 PMMany, many years ago, there used to be a useful AI plug-in called envelopes, but I think it became the AI tool you are currently using.

Envelope Distort. Under the Object menu in Illustrator. That may work for your purpose.

CMYKFrustrated

Quote from: born2print on September 19, 2012, 01:16:38 PMCould you use layers to help separate the art to distort from the rest?
If so, not sure the distort feature would honor layers... :shrug:
Yes, but I'm really looking for an easier way. Basically I want to find software that will do the heavy lifting.
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 19, 2012, 01:35:40 PMThat would be a lot easier to do in Photoshop. Of course, you will have to rasterize all the vector, but does that even matter?
It does.
Quote from: born2print on September 19, 2012, 01:44:13 PMI bet it matters, packaging  :hangme:
You sir, are correct.
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 19, 2012, 01:48:35 PM
Quote from: born2print on September 19, 2012, 01:44:13 PMI bet it matters, packaging  :hangme:

Depends®
Wear em. For those unexpected surprises. (Really old stripper)
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 19, 2012, 02:52:19 PMHahaha, no actually it depends on the output intent of the file itself. Is this piece being distorted for packaging for final print, or is he making a mock-up to show placement of the said artwork on the intended final object. In this case, a cup.
Not a mock-up. Gotta be accurate warp and high quality.
Quote from: born2print on September 19, 2012, 02:56:36 PMWhat makes you so sure Frustrated is a "he"
Don't forget you've been burned by that b4  :lmao:
Light your Bic, he's gettin' burned again.
Quote from: Grimace on September 20, 2012, 10:07:13 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 19, 2012, 12:52:23 PMMany, many years ago, there used to be a useful AI plug-in called envelopes, but I think it became the AI tool you are currently using.

Envelope Distort. Under the Object menu in Illustrator. That may work for your purpose.
Envelope distort (as far as I know, or have found, but correct me if I'm wrong) will still take the entire drawing into the calculation, including what is hidden by the clipping path.

If Illustrator can do this for the "Align" feature, I'm just surprised that it can't do this for the "warp" or "arc" or "envelope" feature.

Anyone out there do work that is required to be distorted to fit an actual object? If so, what do you use to get a high quality, editable file with an ability to precisely shape it to fit?