Template issues

Started by baritone, June 16, 2017, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baritone

I have a couple of templates that its not the right format. Is there a way to repair those templates? :undecided:

DCurry

That's a pretty vague description. If you post more detail and describe exactly what is happening someone can probably point you in the right direction.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

baritone

What happen was I reghost Prinergy and I thought it was mirroring to our data drive so we lost 2 years of templates so I did a data recovery and got most of them back but i think some got corrupted and i cant open them up. Pinergy 5 and same with preps.

Joe

Open the .tpl file in a text editor and see what it looks like in there. Template files are nothing more than text files.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

baritone

Just a bunch of garbage txt inside.

Joe

Then I don't think you are going to able to recover it.

DigiCorn

Sometimes (we did this at my last job) if you KNOW what you're doing, you can edit the code in the .tpl in a text editing program to repair the file. We had some special bars that were named with the " mark and they show up in the .tpl with ". We renamed all the marks. The " is an offensive character in Prinergy, so we had to edit ALL the .tpl files and delete the " mark so it would find the proper mark in Preps.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 16, 2017, 01:22:50 PMSometimes (we did this at my last job) if you KNOW what you're doing, you can edit the code in the .tpl in a text editing program to repair the file. We had some special bars that were named with the " mark and they show up in the .tpl with ". We renamed all the marks. The " is an offensive character in Prinergy, so we had to edit ALL the .tpl files and delete the " mark so it would find the proper mark in Preps.

Yes...except:

Quote from: baritone on June 16, 2017, 09:23:44 AMJust a bunch of garbage txt inside.

baritone

The boss will recreate them when we need them. Thanks for the help

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on June 16, 2017, 01:53:31 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on June 16, 2017, 01:22:50 PMSometimes (we did this at my last job) if you KNOW what you're doing, you can edit the code in the .tpl in a text editing program to repair the file. We had some special bars that were named with the " mark and they show up in the .tpl with ". We renamed all the marks. The " is an offensive character in Prinergy, so we had to edit ALL the .tpl files and delete the " mark so it would find the proper mark in Preps.

Yes...except:

Quote from: baritone on June 16, 2017, 09:23:44 AMJust a bunch of garbage txt inside.
It might look like garbage, if you don't know what you're looking at.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

baritone

This is a screenshoot

DigiCorn

yup. that qualifies as garbage.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

David

well, not total garbage, it says for help, to hit F1.

Now, will F1 please stand up? We need to hit you.

:rotf:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca