Best type Management Software

Started by Santa, December 04, 2007, 12:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

Hey All:

Had a design firm client ask "Which would be the best type management software?"

So I'd figure I'd ask for your guys opinion as for good and for bad Extensis Suitcase has been the only program I used over the years with the occasional Font Book for fonts that Suitcase would not see.

Thanks

Santa

doubting_thomas

For Mac I use Linotype Font Explorer X, and have for quite some time. It's free,
it has some great features and it just works.

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

David

Font Explorer is getting to be the choice around here as well, and we've been using Suitcase for over 10 years now.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Laurens

Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

jezza

That's a hell of a link Laurens. Thanks very much. Superb.
one sick prepress mofo

Sparky

I've been using Suitcase since v. 2.8 and now use Suitcase Fusion with Leapord on my iMac 2.8 intel. It does so much more than just organize fonts. no problems with it and the auto activation works wonderful. Personal font management on your system has a lot to do with how well any font manager works, so I suggest learning the ins and outs, as well as the do's and don'ts of font management on your system.

p.s. great link Laurens, thanks
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Laurens

Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

frailer

Things shift over time, as the bugs are ironed out, and versions are improved. Mostly use Fusion for Quack jobs; Load Temporarily. Having said that, have encountered Quack situations where the latest version of Font Explorer has loaded a font, where Fusion wouldn't; [our in-house "designers" are morons when it comes to font usage]. Font Explorer exclusively with Indy jobs. Latest FEX update seems to have really smoothed things out in the way it works. Make sure you got it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Santa

Thanks for all the help. Forwarded the link to client for her perusal ;D

Ho!
Ho!
Ho!

santa

jezza

Quote from: Santa on December 12, 2007, 12:53:47 PMsanta

I've been very good this year. The 'usual' will be left for you and the red nosed one :)
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

yeah, santa, I may be leaving you summint too, after all your help with Dyna. My current tastes would include a 6 pack of Kirin.

BTW, am producing live jobs in Dyna now, albeit a bit "clunckily".  ::) Escape and Move to Trash get used a bit.

Have a great Festive Season.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.