Affinity Publisher Info

Started by Syphon, July 23, 2019, 08:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Well I bought Affinity Publisher for my iMac at home. And I have to say I really like it.
It does most of what InDesign does minus a few things like data merge, scripts, and packaging files. These missing features are in the works and will come in a update.
Also, I love how fast it is! And I like the simple interface too.
And I love the StudioLink feature. That's pretty cool.
The free stock images from Pixabay, Pexels and Unsplash is really nice. Better than Adobe Stock where you have to buy images.

I read briefly that possibly they are working on the ability to open InDesign IDML files.
I doubt it but I have found a run around to getting InDesign files into Affinity Publisher.
First you need to make a pdf (press quality) with bleeds if there are any, and no crop marks.
Make sure you have the fonts loaded first. Then open the pdf with Affinity Publisher.

I found that everything opens up almost perfectly. Even line endings so far seem okay.
As for photos, they are of course embedded but you can link them to original file.
If you don't choose the text flow option, it is easy to relink the text boxes with the frame text tool.
Click on first text frame (little triangle in lower right corner of the frame) and then click on the text frame you want to like to.

BUT, Affinity Publisher is not perfect. As i mention, there is no packaging feature or data merge feature.
But those features will be added in future update.
But I did run into a problem (sort of).
When I open the document (pdf), if there are any pdfs in the document, the pdfs become editable as if you open them into Adobe Illustrator.
The problem is that if you do not have the fonts, you are screwed. The Font Manager will show a whole list of missing fonts!
After playing with it, I found the solution. You have to go into the Document Setup and change Image Placement Policy to Linked Preferred.
Then you have to replace the pdf ad with the pdf file (that is if you have it).
Hopefully they will offer that option before you open the pdf with Affinity Publisher in future update.

Also, interesting fact is that the Affinity applications are all the same under the hood.
Only difference is the extensions which tell which application the file was created in.
That explains why in StudioLink, you can edit photos and vectors right inside Publisher without leaving the app.

Bottom line in my opinion, if Serif can bring packaging and data merge features to Publisher, they have a very good chance to give Adobe a run for its money.
And if there are working on making it possible to open IDML files in Publisher, I know plenty of clients who would switch.

BTW, I been using Affinity Photo for two months, haven't missed Photoshop one bit.
Photoshop is so slow compared to Affinity Photo. Might be saying goodbye to Photoshop.
And I replaced Lightroom with ON1 Photo Raw. Haven't missed Lightroom either!
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Savage

Just to add a few more things to your post.
I ditched Adobe completely from home. Replaced Premiere with Davinci Resolve, Lightroom with Capture 1, Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign with Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher.
I also replaced Acrobat with the free version of Foxit PDF Reader. Foxit installs a PDF printer, so when i need to use a PDF in Publisher i open it in Foxit and print it to file with rasterizer enabled. I end up with a rasterized PDF which obviously doesen't ask for fonts.
I would also like to add that being unable to use a Document Fonts folder to access the fonts for a given document is a little annoying, but i solved it by installing the free Font Base font manager, that works really well.

I'm very impressed with Affinity so far, they managed to make a very solid first version of a DTP application, that is already a solid alternative to Indesign for some people.

Joe

2 thoughts:

Quote from: Savage on July 24, 2019, 04:07:06 AMi open it in Foxit and print it to file with rasterizer enabled. I end up with a rasterized PDF

:puke: That would be last, my very last, option. I'm not a fan of destroying good PDF's.

Quote from: Savage on July 24, 2019, 04:07:06 AMthe free Font Base font manager

I actually installed that last week to test it out since Linotype Font Explorer (old free version) causes a lot of issues in Mac OS Mojave. It seems it only works with True Type and Open Type Fonts. It just seemed to ignore postscript fonts. Other than that is a pretty good free version if anyone wants to never use postscript fonts.

Quote from: Syphon on July 23, 2019, 08:20:35 PM
I read briefly that possibly they are working on the ability to open InDesign IDML files.
I doubt it but I have found a run around to getting InDesign files into Affinity Publisher.
First you need to make a pdf (press quality) with bleeds if there are any, and no crop marks.
Make sure you have the fonts loaded first. Then open the pdf with Affinity Publisher.

I receive only PDF files so having the fonts available to open is not possible 99.9% of the time.

Can one of you put up a good (not rasterized) PDF file here that hopefully has text with fonts and images and that has been created in IP so I can see if Prinergy has any issues with it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Indesign is incredibly well polished, it will take a long time I think for Affinity to catch up though they are making an effort.

Packaging, variable data handling, preflight, no pass through for placed PDF's so they are not editable are a few of the problems for publisher that make it a big no go for me. I also HATE HATE HATE the way it handles colour in all the apps. A confusing nightmare in my opinion and should not be something all that complicated. I guess I love Indesign and personally do not want another app to replace it, I just want options so I do not have to be in a subscription plan. My big hope is Affinity continues to grow in size and give Adobe some real competition.

Possum

IMHO, Affinity doesn't have to strive to exactly catch up to Adobe. There have long been bloated "features" nobody really uses in Adobe software. If Affinity would concentrate on the features professionals really need, they could have useful software that probably runs faster without all the "extras."
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Syphon

Here you go Joe!

Here is a pdf for print made with Affinity Publisher.
Four pages.
1. Cover of our newsletter which we print on press.
2. Cover of client program which prints black and white on digital.
3. Mix of vector log with drop shadow done in AF, client eps logo, a pdf ad, and photo with white text.
4, Two more pdf ads from a client magazine (prints on press).

Link;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BnNetH0CZWiJ2AgFP4h8wgxtIOge43uo

-Syphon
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Well that didn't go so well. Could not get any of the pages to go through the Prinergy trapper until I outlined all fonts in the document.

Attached are the PDF properties shown by Acrobat DC.

PDF Producer: PDFlib+PDI 9.1.2p1-i (OS X/macOS)

Was that PDF a straight export out of AP?

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2019, 08:06:34 PM
Well that didn't go so well. Could not get any of the pages to go through the Prinergy trapper until I outlined all fonts in the document.

Attached are the PDF properties shown by Acrobat DC.

PDF Producer: PDFlib+PDI 9.1.2p1-i (OS X/macOS)

Was that PDF a straight export out of AP?

Yep. File > Export > choose PDF (for print).
I will give it a try on our Prinergy later today.
Adobe Acrobat

Syphon

I tried through our Prienergy and it fails.
Gives a "Color conversion is required to defione the output colorants for file."

I'm thinking a color setting in the creation of the pdf needs changed when making the pdf in Affinity Publisher.
It does have multiply settings I can play with including color profiles.
Could try other pdf presets included like PDX/4 to see if that works.

I did try putting the pdf into a InDesign document and it went without any problems.
Tried printing to digital, no problems. Good thing since any more 99% of our print is done digitally these days.
These I have been "mister hot pants sexy copier boy" standing over these copiers most of the days.

-Syphon
Adobe Acrobat

DCurry

My Prinergy will refine it no problem, but like Joe if I try to trap it it fails.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on July 25, 2019, 07:05:36 AM
Gives a "Color conversion is required to defione the output colorants for file."

I'm thinking a color setting in the creation of the pdf needs changed when making the pdf in Affinity Publisher.

I did try putting the pdf into a InDesign document and it went without any problems.
Tried printing to digital, no problems. Good thing since any more 99% of our print is done digitally these days.
These I have been "mister hot pants sexy copier boy" standing over these copiers most of the days.

-Syphon

Yeah I would try an PDX/4 if that is an option. The PDF also had ICC profiles and I'm not  a fan of getting those as Prinergy is set to discard them anyway.

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on July 25, 2019, 08:42:11 AM
Quote from: Syphon on July 25, 2019, 07:05:36 AM

-Syphon

Yeah I would try an PDX/4 if that is an option. The PDF also had ICC profiles and I'm not  a fan of getting those as Prinergy is set to discard them anyway.

Had to stop by the apartment and while there made a quick pdfs from Affinity Publisher.
Here is the link:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/12mxTl39-IIUht0GlQt7Y9fOG1fzvvzu3/view?usp=sharing

And here is snapshot of the profiles in the AF pdf export window.
-Syphon
Adobe Acrobat

EmptyWords

Ok you got me sooo curious about this, even stopped doing production files to see if the pdf(s) would run through our workflow, we are still using an old system(s) - Esko/Artwork Odystar v4.1.1 & Nexus v10.1 build 78, the initial pdf files crash our Odystar repeatedly, that had me stumped till I figured out where it was faltering.

When I opened the pdfs in Acrobat and did a save as and ran those files, the system chewed them them out pretty quick, the trapper had no problems w/ the file, Nexus had no problems after the save as too. The only other issue I ran into was on page 2 w/ the grey pic, it was tagged as US Web Coated (SWOP) v2 w/ data only in the black channel, our workflow converted it to 4/c, I will have to look into that, maybe cause the tagging, it went ahead and mapped the image to all four channels.

But... this is a pretty good exercise in possible issues to look for when/if we get any Affinity jobs/pdf files in here, which I am pretty sure will happen sooner or later, hell we get some clients sending in stuff done in Canva and for us those always give us problems, it's just a matter of time before those jobs/pdf files start showing up here.

Looking forward to more people (hopefully) getting in on the conversation and maybe testing the pdfs out on other workflows and any issues that arise and things to be aware of.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

seratne

Running Apogee 9 here. Both files render and trap without any warnings. And both render the same way. Page 2 is k only on both files.

XMF also gave no issues at all.

Syphon

Quote from: EmptyWords on July 25, 2019, 10:12:37 AM
Ok you got me sooo curious about this, even stopped doing production files to see if the pdf(s) would run through our workflow, we are still using an old system(s) - Esko/Artwork Odystar v4.1.1 & Nexus v10.1 build 78, the initial pdf files crash our Odystar repeatedly, that had me stumped till I figured out where it was faltering.

When I opened the pdfs in Acrobat and did a save as and ran those files, the system chewed them them out pretty quick, the trapper had no problems w/ the file, Nexus had no problems after the save as too. The only other issue I ran into was on page 2 w/ the grey pic, it was tagged as US Web Coated (SWOP) v2 w/ data only in the black channel, our workflow converted it to 4/c, I will have to look into that, maybe cause the tagging, it went ahead and mapped the image to all four channels.

But... this is a pretty good exercise in possible issues to look for when/if we get any Affinity jobs/pdf files in here, which I am pretty sure will happen sooner or later, hell we get some clients sending in stuff done in Canva and for us those always give us problems, it's just a matter of time before those jobs/pdf files start showing up here.

Looking forward to more people (hopefully) getting in on the conversation and maybe testing the pdfs out on other workflows and any issues that arise and things to be aware of.

OMG, I hate getting files from Canva!
Always giving me headaches.

I do hope more will jump in on this.
Like it or not, I really believe Affinity Publisher will be big maybe not as big as Adobe.
Adobe Acrobat