Strange problem in PDF File

Started by metlife, June 13, 2018, 06:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Kudos to ninjaPB_43 for mentioning the CID font encoding issue...extract this Acrobat Preflight and import it into Acrobat. Run it on the file using 'Analyze and Fix' and save the new file. Once that is done you can select the text with Pitstop as you normally can.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on June 14, 2018, 07:43:49 AMKudos to ninjaPB_43 for mentioning the CID font encoding issue...extract this Acrobat Preflight and import it into Acrobat. Run it on the file using 'Analyze and Fix' and save the new file. Once that is done you can select the text with Pitstop as you normally can.

I had a feeling someone would have an action or preflight that would fix it.  Nice Joe. Thanks.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: frailer on June 13, 2018, 09:34:41 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 13, 2018, 09:27:50 AMIt's a rib, like a ribbed condom.

You're not about to let this theme rest, pspdf...  :undecided:    :hello:

By all means, keep it up, though...   :grin:

I think I've beat this to death. I am spent.

AaronH

Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Fat Boy Tim

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the PreFlight Profile. Sadly its not working for me... but then I am a schmuck for using Acrobat DC. Maybe with a decent copy of Acrobat all will be well.

I ran an Inventory report out of Acrobat (attached) and saw "PostScript name: EDWAAA+ArialMT".

I've seen this kinda nonsense before with Ghostscript where Glyph mapping gets lost or garbled.

Hello MetLife,

If the  PreFlight Profile does not work for you, ask them to try again using "MS Arial Unicode" instead of ArialMT. The Polish glyphs they need will all be there and hopefully the encoding will come through without any loss of mapping

Joe

Quote from: Fat Boy Tim on June 14, 2018, 01:38:18 PMHello Joe,

Thanks for the PreFlight Profile. Sadly its not working for me... but then I am a schmuck for using Acrobat DC. Maybe with a decent copy of Acrobat all will be well.

What was the issue with the preflight profile? I assume you unzipped it before trying to import it into Acrobat preflight?

Fat Boy Tim

Quote from: Joe on June 14, 2018, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: Fat Boy Tim on June 14, 2018, 01:38:18 PMHello Joe,

What was the issue with the preflight profile? I assume you unzipped it before trying to import it into Acrobat preflight?

Hello Joe,

Seems to have imported ok. Flags up the error but looks like the fix up does not want to kick in. Attached is the output result pdf and two reports ( one as manually called preflight the other as a droplet)

I still suspect DC is to blame.

Joe

I created it in DC and it seems to work fine. I think it is still a CID font afterwards but the encoding is fixed. After the preflight Pitstop selects it just as it should.

Hmmmm...I created the Preflight in Acrobat DC at home and it worked there but now it isn't working here at work in Acrobat DC. I'll get back to it when customers quit sending jobs for 30 seconds.

:spy2:

ninjaPB_43

FYI - I tried to load the preflight profile as well (out of curiosity to see it work on the test file) but it failed to import into Acrobat. (screen grab below) However, I am on Acrobat Pro X (10.1.16). 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Yeah you would need Acrobat DC to import it.

It is weird. It worked on my Mac at home but I even created it again on the work Mac and it doesn't work. Same version of DC. Just in a different town/county.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on June 14, 2018, 03:46:41 PMYeah you would need Acrobat DC to import it.

Figures, I feel so left behind...   :rage:

metlife

Quote from: Joe on June 14, 2018, 07:02:02 AMWell first it might help if we knew how they were creating the PDF's and what settings they use. This PReS Connect they are using probably generates the PDF in some fashion. Are all the PDF's you will be receiving just text like the sample you posted? Ask them if PReS Connect can make either PDF X-1a or PDF X-4a PDF and send you a test file made with it.

Joe, unfortunately, so far I have not received an answer to what settings the client generates files. I installed PReS Connect, but I am waiting for the project file from the client to check the PDF file writing options yourself. I asked them about PDF-x1, PDF-x4, PDF-A and they all had the same problem with the font. Joe, final files will be invoices that contain the text itself and possibly a few tables containing monetary amounts. Thank you in advance for preflight fixing CID font coding. If you manage to create a preflight that will work properly with us all, it will be great. Certainly it will be useful for me to fix similar problems in fewer files.

ninjaPB_43 I noticed this too and I asked the client to use another font coding if of course they have the option. I also asked to use a different font, but so far I have not received any test files that meet my requests.

Fat Boy Tim, I have asked the customer about this before, but still no messages from him.

Joe

OK you can create an Acrobat Preflight to outline all fonts and it does work on this test file but of course that is the big hammer approach.

Manually I can use the Acrobat DC "Edit PDF" tool and click on the text container and right click and "Select All" then change the typeface to something else and then change it back to the original font that you have to have open on your system. After that I can go back to Pitstop and select the text lines as normal. But this is a manual procedure that isn't practical with the number of files you have.

What exactly do you need to edit in these PDF's?

The optimum solution is to have the person creating them to do them so you can do whatever you need to do to them.

Tracy

I agree! It sounds like he gets lots of pages, for safety reasons they need to fix the issue :laugh: