RGB to CMYK Conversion

Started by Tracy, August 16, 2022, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

We Have Ricoh's and I could of swore they use to convert RGB well
Now I have to make sure I convert my RGB Files to CMYK
was this my imagination or should it convert well?

Joe

Maybe it has started to use a different profile to convert than what it used to use? Check the color management settings in the Ricoh device.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Yeah I'm wondering if that's it, but I don't know what it's suppose to be
both Ricohs are not converting well, I will have to ask the technician as the copy guy
doesn't know what its suppose to be either

I will look to see if I can't figure it out tho!

Joe

Try different profiles until you find one you like. The problem being it might make one image look great while another may look like crap.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

ok I will when I am slow enough!
retired and still helping me! yay!  :-*

johnny_jay

I was searching the other year for an icc profile to use when our Prinergy converts rgb to cmyk and I came across some on Don Hutchinson's site - http://www.hutchcolor.com/profiles.html

I downloaded Wirephoto Color Spaces (4 K) and we are using and happy with "Wirephoto gamma 2.2.icc"

Good Luck! 
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Tracy

madbugger

Quote from: Joe on August 16, 2022, 10:02:56 AMTry different profiles until you find one you like. The problem being it might make one image look great while another may look like crap.
Our old Prinergy system used U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 and we had no complaints. When we switched to Agfa Apogee I'm not sure what profile they had set up but it was crap. Unfortunately U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 was not one of the pre loaded options and we couldn't get it loaded so all conversions now have to be made before processing. I have a few preflight profiles set up to do this.

Any complaints from clients are met with "you should make sure that your files contain no RGB images"

As Richard Pryor once said in one of his stand up routines where a customer ordered steak in a Chinese restaurant and complained about it -  "you order shit, you eat shit"

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

swampymarsh

If the RIP/DFE doesn't honour embedded profiles or you are sending through "mystery meat" RGB or CMYK, then you will live and die by the default assumed RGB and CMYK profiles.

sRGB is a good safe choice for the assumed RGB input.

For CMYK simulation, either some form of ISO Coated v2/Fogra39, GRACoL or SWOP (there are many variations) would seem appropriate depending on your region and market.

Use perceptual rendering unless you have an option for Black Point Compensation for the colorimetric rendering intends.

pspdfppdfxhd

haha, "mystery meat" like on a Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwich? ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

Could be spam, could be head cheese, who knows.  :))

pspdfppdfxhd

But to be fair, this place makes an amazing Bhan mi, the BBQ pork and chicken are amazing. I usually pick on up on the way home from work on friday. I stay away from the mystery meat.

https://www.ubereats.com/ca/store/banh-mi-saigon-bakery/elFDc1pbRWi2XRvD0eprpA

born2print

Banh mi is about as good as a sandwich can get!
I will admit, I play it safe and get BBQ pork or maybe Vietnamese ham, I ignore the other 20 varieties and ignore "sardine fish" twice.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said