defining spot color screen angles

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 17, 2017, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

We have a Harlequin rip, V.10 that we recently added calibration curves for 3 different presses.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to define screen angles for spot colors. Well not totally, you can define a curve for: "other colors in job" and specify the screen angle, one screen angle for example 75 degrees which is okay for 2 color jobs, ie. black and a pms, but some jobs we run have say, 3 spots that need 3 different angles. They all come out at the same angle.

What I have been doing is using the ink manager in InDesign to map the spots to process. Like spot 1 (magenta), spot 2 (cyan) spot 3 (yellow). It works but I gotta figure there's an easier way to configure the rip.

We don't have the optional "edit spot colors" module at the rip and I am wondering if this is the missing component.

Any help appreciated.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 17, 2017, 08:48:59 AMWe have a Harlequin rip, V.10 that we recently added calibration curves for 3 different presses.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to define screen angles for spot colors. Well not totally, you can define a curve for: "other colors in job" and specify the screen angle, one screen angle for example 75 degrees which is okay for 2 color jobs, ie. black and a pms, but some jobs we run have say, 3 spots that need 3 different angles. They all come out at the same angle.

What I have been doing is using the ink manager in InDesign to map the spots to process. Like spot 1 (magenta), spot 2 (cyan) spot 3 (yellow). It works but I gotta figure there's an easier way to configure the rip.

We don't have the optional "edit spot colors" module at the rip and I am wondering if this is the missing component.

Any help appreciated.

Why do you need different screen angles? It shouldn't matter as long as they don't print over the top of another one which spots usually don't because once you mix two spots together it is no long the spot color you started with.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Hmmmmmm.... am I really that stupid? :facepalm:

These jobs have screens of spots which trap together but I guess that wouldn't really matter either if they are both 75 degrees.

pspdfppdfxhd

Actually, upon secondary inspection of these 3 color jobs we do (labels for containers) there is only one spot color that has gradients and it traps into a solid spot color so it's not an issue anyway.

Never mind but thanks anyway!  :facepalm:  :old:

Joe

Well it isn't beyond a designer to use multiple spot colors in an object. I can tell you how to change them in Prinergy but that probably wouldn't help you.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 17, 2017, 10:58:16 AMWell it isn't beyond a designer to use multiple spot colors in an object. I can tell you how to change them in Prinergy but that probably wouldn't help you.

We see that quite a bit on one 2 color publications we print...but luckily it's just a spot and black. The multi-ink swatch option lets you mix and color in the document together.