News:

Main Menu

Imposition Books - XMF

Started by off_set, February 04, 2019, 10:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Tracy if they just use a 4 page template they would get 15 4 page signatures. I think they are wanting 16 page signatures where there are 4 sheets of 4 nested together. 1 and 16 on the front. 2 and 15 on the back. Then 3 and 14 and 4 and 13 etc...

for the 16 pg sig:

F: 1-16
B: 2-15

F: 3-14
B: 4-13

F: 5-12
B: 6-11

F: 7-10
B: 8-9

for the 12 page sig:

F: 17-28
B: 18-27

F: 19-26
B: 20-25

F: 21-24
B: 22-23
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Yeah I get it now!
It makes it kind of hard since the template is a 4pgr, have to do it in sections like he was doing I think.
I'm trying it now.

Joe

Not sure about a 4 page template unless that is something out of XMF. In Preps we would have one 16 page template that we would put in the imposition 3 times and then one 12 page template we would add into the imposition one time.

16 * 3 = 48 + 12 = 60.

Tracy

He's running it as 4pg spreads digital
It's a tough one, it can be done but I think he wants it simpler
I wouldn't use pagination mode, This is one for Diddler!

Only thing I can thing of is do 16 pg sections and then the 12
you would have to turn off the pages not being used, which I think he doesn't want
he wants it simplified.

Joe

Oh I missed he is doing digital. That throws a wrench into the gears.

Joe

I think if it was me I would make up a 16 page document and one 12 page document in InDesign and use Print Booklet '2up Saddle Stitch' to print each section individually. And skip XMF entirely...or for me skip Prinergy/Preps entirely.  ;D

Tracy

I had that thought too!
I have 16pg templates and 12s that I just relink pdfs to. easy peasy
Media box has to be the same tho, easy with pitstop

but he said something about 300pgr tho

Joe

Even the 300 pager would be easy with the multi page PDF importer script for InDesign.

Diddler

Quote from: off_set on February 20, 2019, 10:22:28 AMHello there!
Yes, it's for digital printing in this case.

Lets simplify it and pretend it's less than 60 pages:
- I've created  the stripping page template for saddle and stitch;
- I need to divide the book in:
  a) 1x16 pages (saddle and stitch)
  b) 1x12 pages (saddle and stitch)
But the 16 pages group and the 12 pages group are perfectly binded between themselves. (Sorry, english is not my native language so some technical stuff may be a little more difficult for me to explain :) ) That's why I think I need to create some section dividers or it will saddle stitch the all book... am I wrong?

Now, of course a book has more repetitions of this groups and if I have to multiply this for a 300 pages book, it's a little bit more of work and I thought there was a quicker way.

I've added an image to help.

I think I know what your trying to do.
I wouldn't use Pagination mode for this one, but you can if you like.
I would just do it as a normal Saddle Stitched book.
In Assembly Sections Icon, create a new "Section" and your pages will reflow into 16, 12, 8 or whatever size of section you require.

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

off_set

Hello there!
First of all, we, the girls from the prepress (and digital printing) department, are super grateful and impressed by your willingness to help! So, a big thank you from us here in Portugal. You're faster than our "official support"...

The suggestion to use "perfect binding" made me think and this is how I made it, at least for now :)
Since this is a regular work:

- Created new imposition patterns, with multi-web pattern, accordingly to the number of pages I would need for a signature;
- Created a new stripping page template and used the imposition pattern previously created, with "perfect binding", as you suggested;
- Added signatures based on stripping templates and now it's quicker to divide de entire book. I've specified that I wanted, for example, 3 signatures for 16 pages... and one for 12 and it's all quickly divided;
- In this example, I ignored the "sheets" panel and went straight for the "Signature Groups". On the right, I already had a workflow for digital printing and on "pdf layout", activated the "use signature group" and chosen the signature group.

Of course If we had some different specifications for some groups we would add to differenciate them.

Manually dividing into sections is very handy too, we're just preparing ourselves for bigger publications.

Tracy

Good Job! would never have thought about using the pattern!

I tried the 60pg in a different way, it was pretty easy but not for a lot of pages.
Lots of good people here that will always try and help, so welcome!

on my screenshot I used acrobat and used the split tool, split pages into 16 pages each
which left the last pdf to be the 12 pages. Pulled out 4 plate icons (or pdf whatever you need)
and used the same template for each one, you don't have to have separate pdfs but I thought it
was simpler than turning off the pages that I didn't need for that sig.

looks like you got it figured out tho!

Joe

Quote from: off_set on February 21, 2019, 11:42:35 AMHello there!
First of all, we, the girls from the prepress (and digital printing) department, are super grateful and impressed by your willingness to help! So, a big thank you from us here in Portugal. You're faster than our "official support"...

Sorry for the 'he' references and welcome to the forum.

off_set

Just a heads up.

Since I created the imposition patterns with multi-web pattern, accordingly to the number of pages I would need for a signature, combining that with multiple workflows (one for the signatures with 16 pages and one for 12 pages), it's also very quick to divide the book without being in pagination mode.

Just have to be carefull and not forget to copy the sheets on the sheets panel. Since the imposition already has the number of total of pages (for example a 16 page signature) if I want 3 I should multiply it for 2 (= 3x16 pages). If color, size, etc is the same, it's even quicker than the previous method I suggested. The important thing is to create the imposition multi-web pattern.

Assigned the 16 pages to one workflow and the 12 pages to another one and voilá.

Just in case someone needs this too...