Update all links of the same file in one shot

Started by prepressDog, September 27, 2007, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 10, 2007, 09:27:45 AMI STILL am not seeing that..   when I have no links highlighted in the links pallette, the "update link button" is grayed out.  only option is to click "relink button"..   and then you have to tell each link individually which file to relink to...

I see - it is grayed out because there are no links that require updating (if a link needs updating, it has the yellow triangle/exclamation point icon). Yes, relinking each instance of a repeated graphic is a pain.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DCurry on October 10, 2007, 09:33:11 AM
Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 10, 2007, 09:27:45 AMI STILL am not seeing that..   when I have no links highlighted in the links pallette, the "update link button" is grayed out.  only option is to click "relink button"..   and then you have to tell each link individually which file to relink to...

I see - it is grayed out because there are no links that require updating (if a link needs updating, it has the yellow triangle/exclamation point icon). Yes, relinking each instance of a repeated graphic is a pain.

right.  so again going back to the original post..  is there a 3rd party plug-in anywhere, that is capable of recognizing the links with the same file and relinking to a different file in one swoop..    Im guessing not..   but Im not sure without trying to track one down..

Thanks for the replys Dan..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

almaink

Renaming the PDF is the only way I can get it to work. It sucks to because it screws with file integrity. Clicking and selecting each link for a large book has my poor fingers going numb...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

doubting_thomas

Maybe I'm missing the point here. If there is one recurring link, open the
Links pallet and select the one link that you'd like to change.
Click the Relink icon in the lower left of the pallet. The dialog box I get
gives me the option to update all instances of that initially selected link
with a new link that I can navigate to. Here is a screen shot:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: doubting_thomas on October 10, 2007, 10:46:04 AMMaybe I'm missing the point here. If there is one recurring link, open the
Links pallet and select the one link that you'd like to change.
Click the Relink icon in the lower left of the pallet. The dialog box I get
gives me the option to update all instances of that initially selected link
with a new link that I can navigate to. Here is a screen shot:

A HA!!!   YES TOM NICE!!    that option is not there if you have more than one link highlighted when you click the relink button.  THAT is new to CS 3!!   THANK YOU!

;D   

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

doubting_thomas

Glad it worked. Maybe if I wasn't sick, busy and dog tired I would've
explained it better to begin with. Crap screen grab, but I think you got
the idea.

Edit: That's a bit big, but should work better. You all have 24" monitors
anyway, right?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: doubting_thomas on October 10, 2007, 11:28:27 AMGlad it worked. Maybe if I wasn't sick, busy and dog tired I would've
explained it better to begin with. Crap screen grab, but I think you got
the idea.

oh yea, I got it and will be using it daily!  Thanks again..    hope you get some rest soon.

Sparky

I still use CS2 and have developed a different way of doing this. I do a lot of 8, 10, and 12-up business cards at work and sometimes I need to do just what Ninja asked. What I do is make my changes to the original file first by changing the name to "filename.orig.eps" or jpg or tif, whatever) and save the new revised file with the same name as the one used in the .indd file. this way I still have my original (so labeled) and as soon as I open the document I can "update" all the links at once, without having to re-link them one at a time.

I always keep a sub-folder in each customer folder named "Customer Original Files" so I can always go back and pull it up if there is ever an issue of modified or corrupted files. When a customer bitches about a job.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"