I'm sucker who's making a BANNER, for a friend...

Started by Foozball, April 19, 2023, 09:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

Preface: Yes, I know we shouldn't help people with their hobbies when it comes to Printing, but this woman was ready to dive in and help last month, as soon as she heard I was unemployed. She's from our industry, and knows why I "paused" when she asked! ;) 

It's a straight 48x24 banner/1 color/less than 50 words, I've already done the text in Illustrator and working on a vector version of the logo ...
- Is there a preference on file format these days? 
- Do people work in AI nowdays? (AI is still my weakest program)

Any constructive advice/pointers welcome!  >:D

Possum

AI is fine but you can send the printer a PDF to be safe. 

Hey, it's fine to help out somebody once in a while. It gets to be a problem when people start to expect you to do freebies. Since your neighbor has been in the biz she probably won't take advantage.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

Our banner printer RIPs take PDF files, that's your best option out. I would include crop marks (.5 pt at least, 3mm offset)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Our banner software for the Roland was PDF only. Outline all the text though, to be safe.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: Foozball on April 19, 2023, 09:02:46 AMPreface: Yes, I know we shouldn't help people with their hobbies when it comes to Printing, but this woman was ready to dive in and help last month, as soon as she heard I was unemployed. She's from our industry, and knows why I "paused" when she asked! ;)

It's a straight 48x24 banner/1 color/less than 50 words, I've already done the text in Illustrator and working on a vector version of the logo ...
- Is there a preference on file format these days?
- Do people work in AI nowdays? (AI is still my weakest program)

Any constructive advice/pointers welcome!  >:D
We use 64 inch Roland printers (VS-640 & VG-640) with Versa RIPs. PDFs and tifs are the acceptable format for that RIP.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

madbugger

We have an Agfa Anapurna M2 with Wasatch Rip.

Will take PDF, tiff, jpeg

Usually go with pdf but if it becomes problematic, straight to photoshop and flatten to a 300 dpi jpeg.

I have been very surprised at times by how good a 72dpi jpeg can sometimes print.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Foozball

Yeah, this really was not a big deal ... AI seems to have mellowed in it's complexity over the years, the only real issue was removing a PMS from the logo, which took 5 mins to find the color pallette.
Thanks for the background on everyone's machines, dumb stuff like that helps!!

Apparently there IS money in it for me, I didn't realize a public garden can double as a charity with fundraising, so I asked for a gift card instead to the value of "whatever you think"!