Placed PDFs dropping images

Started by Farabomb, March 20, 2017, 07:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I don't believe I've seen this before and it could be related to me running CS6. Has anyone placed a PDF and have images drop off? The piece I'm dealing with has a spot that fades out into a 4c image and when I place it, it drops the 4c image.

It wouldn't matter if the designer set the job up right but we all know how that goes.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

I have never had any images go missing from any PDF placed in Indesign. Generally when I have anything wonky go on with a PDF it is because the PDF was created in some obscure/non stander editing program. Have you tried re-saving the PDF in Acrobat and placing it again?

Joe

Is the image missing when you place it or at output of a new PDF? If you can get the the PDF to me I'll see if it happens in creative cloud.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

It doesn't show when placed in to indy. I've tried resaving as well as using the normalized file from prinergy, same result. Even tried exporting the file in case it was a display thing but nope.

Extra bonus, I just printed the file out for reference and it's dropped out there as well.  :facepalm:

I'm not too worried, I fixed what I needed to so it should work... up until they change the file again like they always do.

Joe, YGM.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Can't remember ever losing an element, but the new Adobe rip3 is making watermarks print that didn't under the APPE2.
In other words, exact rerun, no new refine and it comes out different. Now we get to watch out for that for a year or two until the reruns all get reworked (as we have to open the pdfs and delete the watermarks)
 :strangle:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Farabomb

Same files, no reprocessing and it's changing the output?

Oh, that's perfectly acceptable in the printing world.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Farabomb on March 20, 2017, 01:53:31 PMSame files, no reprocessing and it's changing the output?

Oh, that's perfectly acceptable in the printing world.
Yes, only the RIP changed. Scary.

Farabomb

That's bullshit. Customers won't want to hear that shit. They are worse than the loud family at the restaurant that make a scene about something extremely minor just to get their meals comped or any free shit.

Any and all minor things will be pulled out and put under the microscope. Doesn't matter if they waste days of their time fighting and bitching, they got 10% off the job and that's all that matters.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

The bad news is the customer found the first one, the "good" news is this seems to be the only type of thing with this issue and we're on the lookout for it, including a reminder note on the ticket from CSR for a while. The bad news is my age-old line about the safety of our workflow (Render Once Output Many) has been disproven by this issue so trust / confidence has suffered a tiny bit in the pressroom. Oh well, it is what it is.

frailer

Quote from: born2print on March 20, 2017, 03:17:09 PM... so trust / confidence has suffered a tiny bit in the pressroom.
..that little line says far more than most outside pp might think.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: born2print on March 20, 2017, 11:17:00 AMCan't remember ever losing an element, but the new Adobe rip3 is making watermarks print that didn't under the APPE2.
In other words, exact rerun, no new refine and it comes out different. Now we get to watch out for that for a year or two until the reruns all get reworked (as we have to open the pdfs and delete the watermarks)
 :strangle:

See...new and improved. Adobe says "you're welcome". :sarcasm:

born2print

In Kodak's defense, they recommend proofing all reruns in the release notes...

yeah... anyone doing that?  :sarcasm:

Farabomb

I know nobody that proofs an exact reprint. We're still under the impression that since film doesn't change, neither should our archives.

Anybody else just a little bit scared for when Adobe releases PDF 2.0? Not like my customers would change since they like really old versions anyway. I just hope it doesn't get press and everyone thinks "it's the latest and greatest, we MUST have it."

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 21, 2017, 05:17:58 AMI know nobody that proofs an exact reprint. We're still under the impression that since film doesn't change, neither should our archives.

Anybody else just a little bit scared for when Adobe releases PDF 2.0? Not like my customers would change since they like really old versions anyway. I just hope it doesn't get press and everyone thinks "it's the latest and greatest, we MUST have it."

I don't think Adobe is doing it. "This new version has been created by the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) members, or to be precise by Technical Committee 171, Sub-committee 2."

I am sure it will solve all of the worlds problems.

born2print