Sticky Spot referencing

Started by frailer, March 25, 2019, 07:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Parent office dezinger peep's passed on an over 1GB PDF file for a new and well-known show about a well-known book series (Shhh)... In fr UK. For some unknown reason they have the Spot as 1255 (gold). We need to run/print 875.

OK, no es un problema... I run whatever's required... Change Specific Col ... whatever. But no matter what I do in the way of resaves/save as... it still references the unwanted 1255 in Output preview.

It's being printed on a larger press, so gotta send it out. Have been through all 48 pp looking for occurrences of the 1255. None.

All we can do is tell their pp that there's none present. It's 'ghost referencing', right?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Does your in-house RIP support any kind of color sampling by surface area? I've had some similar ghost colors in XMF, I'll preview Plates Output then use the eyedropper to drag across the whole page, if nothing shows up as a percentage of the offending Spot Color, I'll turn it off or convert to CMYK before it heads to plating.

If it does return a percentage of said color, then it's make selections by quadrant/grid until I find the damned color & then convert it anyway.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Diddler

I would remap the 1255 to 875 in XMF. Hesitating at a guess that the colour is in the job tag/info marks.
See it happen before.

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Did you change it with Pitstop? If so the color will still show in the output preview until you save it and re-open it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Resaving as a 'file rewrite' didn't shake it off. We (I asked that they be told in the other place's pp room), told them of the issue; hopefully they'll have listened and checked, but I don't have direct contact... (turf/control/personalities... ya know what I mean).
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Quote from: Slappy on March 25, 2019, 07:49:20 PMDoes your in-house RIP support any kind of color sampling by surface area? I've had some similar ghost colors in XMF, I'll preview Plates Output then use the eyedropper to drag across the whole page, if nothing shows up as a percentage of the offending Spot Color, I'll turn it off or convert to CMYK before it heads to plating.

If it does return a percentage of said color, then it's make selections by quadrant/grid until I find the damned color & then convert it anyway.

It had to go out before I could do this. I don't they've reached print time yet. I may try that in rendered view in XMF, switch off the others and should be able to marquee, as you say, 'areas', with the eyedropper~ink tool.