Indigo 12k interprets some PDFs as head to toe that arent'

Started by (Pre)PressingMyLuck, April 18, 2024, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

This is a slightly weird one and we haven't been able to find a setting that changes it yet.

There are three of us in prepress here. All have windows boxes, the latest Acrobat Pro, Pitstop Pro, and Quite Imposing+ 5.3. Our Indigo 12k operator has told us that almost every file I set up, he has to tumble because the DFE thinks it's head to toe. Some of the files M sets up he has to tumble, and almost none of the ones set up by J. We all have the same action lists and automations in QI. We use the same preflight profiles.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing that would cause this? I just went back to a job J had done without issue and redid it. Waiting for the operator to see how that file works. Files come from all sorts of sources, lots of different custies.

Any ideas? Thanks!
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

We impose onto the B2 sheet with QI+. The operator pulls it into the DFE and does his thing from there. He's seeing the difference right from importing the PDF, no changes on his end are taken before he can see the issue in the preview. It seems to be relatively consistent between the three prepress operators and how often he has to tumble.

DigiCorn

Do you drag-and-drop PDFs into the queue or do you Cmd-P Print them into the queue?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Yeah that happens to me too when I Print to the que an 18x12
when dragged into the que it's correct somehow the Printing to que 12x18 is fine.
I think Digi was referring to that
But I'm not working with an indigo

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

I'm not sure but when I see the operator next I'll ask him. Only thing is for that to be the issue he has to be treating our files differently based on who created them.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on April 18, 2024, 10:47:48 AMYeah that happens to me too when I Print to the que an 18x12
when dragged into the que it's correct somehow the Printing to que 12x18 is fine.
I think Digi was referring to that
But I'm not working with an indigo
Exactly.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Operators both say they only ever import, no drag and drop.

DigiCorn

Is anyone there from Australia? Everything is all upside down and bass-ackwards down there.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Tracy

In our fiery when dragged in, It is using pdf print engine
when printing to it, it is post script
might want to check that out.
but easy fix is to create a workflow that flips the page when needed

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

As I said earlier, MOST of my files have the issue, but  not all. Most of the files created by J are fine. But I can't find any settings or meta data in the PDF that my software would be doing to create the problem. They always import the same way, so if that was the problem we'd all be having the same outcome. Any workflow to correct the problem automatically would just reverse the situation. We need to figure out what the root cause is to address it besides the manual way they are doing now.

Tracy

what are the sizes of the files?
for us it happens to 18x12 (Landscape)
and not to the 12x18 (Portrait)
maybe make a log of the sizes/orientation that it's happening to
and you might find a pattern

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

The 12k only has 29.5x20.75 and 29.5x20.75. Both sizes do it if I set it up, both sizes don't do it if J sets it up. There has to be some kind of setting or meta data thing. He's about to run the test file we created that's already worked fine with J proofed it, but I went and reset it up as a test. Really interested in how that comes out.

David

Are any of these pages rotated in the pdf file? I have gotten some of these before and had a similar outcome. It's where a one page pdf was added or merged into another pdf and the orientation was different (landscape instead of portrait) so they rotated the page in Acrobat to make it better.
It only shows up when the "honor rotation" was not checked at the RIP.

Not sure if that would apply in your situation.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca