News:

Main Menu

Big Sur Issues?

Started by Donomo, July 07, 2021, 10:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donomo

My vintage 2013 iMac just crapped out. The IT department seems intent on replacing it with a brand new iMac with Big Sur installed. I explained that this could cause a host of compatibility issues, but they don't seem to think it will be much of a problem. I disagree, but I may have no choice. I know we will have to update Prinergy to version 9.
What other compatibility issues can I expect? Will I be able to run Creative Cloud apps older than 2021? We still use Indesign 2019 often because the Smartstream Designer plug-in for Indesign 2021 has issues. Currently running EFI Metrix version 2019.2 for imposition. I'm guessing I will need to upgrade Pitstop also. Looks like I'm in for an enjoyable couple of weeks. :sarcasm:

Joe

Prinergy 9.0.0 supports Big Sur but...VPS+ in Big Sur does not display fronts/backs correctly. Preps 9.0.0 is not compatible with Big Sur.

Prinergy 9.0.1 supports Big Sur and VPS+ does display fronts/backs correctly. It is less quality and speed than VPS classic but does work ok'ish. Preps 9.0.1 is not compatible with Big Sur.

Preps 9.0.2 with Big Sur compatibility is due in "early July". Not sure if there will be a Prinergy 9.0.2 that will have to be installed to get Preps 9.0.2 or if you can just install standalone Preps 9.0.2 over 9.0.1 to get compatible with Big Sur.

Not sure if an older version of Indesign or Metrix will works. I am running Pitstop Pro 21 so can't say if any older version won't run on Big Sur but I would not be surprised if it won't.

If the new iMac comes with Big Sur installed possible you could wipe it and install Catalina but the above notes apply to Catalina as well for VPS+.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Donomo

Thanks for the info Joe. Still waiting to hear from IT. They took my old Mac to the ER yesterday, I haven't heard boo since. Stuck using the night shift Mac for now. I miss the days when they let me take care of these things myself. IT is telling me that they may not allow me to Migrate from my Time Machine back-up. They tell me it has caused too many problems. This really pisses me off because the only computer problems I have had the last several years have been hardware related.
:gom:

Joe

What exactly is your 2013 iMac doing? Or not doing? I service ours here.

I have found IT departments to be completely useless when it comes to Macs.

Donomo

An almost constant spinning beachball, barely usable. I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of Mojave. I migrated a Time Machine back-up I had from March. It worked fine for one day, then crapped out again. The tech believes it's a hardware issue and is running diagnostics on it. I usually try to resolve the issue myself before involving IT. I can usually fix a software issue myself. The tech that usually helps prepress is easy to deal with. His boss, the head of the IT department seems to have an attitude towards Macs.

Joe

You don't by chance have the very old free version of Linotype Font Explorer on it do you?

Donomo

No, never used Linotype Type Explorer. I forgot to mention that the machine also takes a half an hour to boot up after restart. I have not heard anything from the IT department in 2 days.

Joe

Quote from: Donomo on July 08, 2021, 08:17:22 AM
No, never used Linotype Type Explorer. I forgot to mention that the machine also takes a half an hour to boot up after restart. I have not heard anything from the IT department in 2 days.

Sure sign of a hard drive about to die.

Donomo

Yeah, the tech said the drive is failing. He brought in a brand new iMac yesterday afternoon. 27" with 500GB SSD drive & 32GB of memory running Catalina. Waiting for him to complete the set-up. I'm still trying to convince him to use my Time Machine back-up. He thinks it will cause issues because the back-up is from such an old Mac. IT also gets weirded out by anyone plugging in external devices. I don't think it will be a problem. That's one of the main purposes of Time Machine, to transfer data when upgrading machines. I have several years worth of bookmarks, presets, short cuts, ect on that back-up. Not to mention I will have wait for the Prinergy upgrade before I can run Workshop. So it will probably be several weeks before I have the new machine set-up to my liking. Meanwhile I'll be bouncing back & forth between the new machine and the night shift Mac.

Joe

I kind of agree with him about the time machine backups because if there is any kind of file/data corruption it will bring it back with it. On the other hand I do it for users that swear they are not having any issues with their old Macs because it saves me a lot of time. For my own personal Mac I do a fresh installs only and then manually copy back what I need from the Time Machine backups like email, bookmarks, downloads, documents etc...takes longer but I have piece of mind knowing I'm not bringing problems back fro the old machine.

It is has made a big difference on my current machine. Prinergy 8.4 under Mojave was giving me an issue where when I tried to open a PDF or VPS proof from Workshop it would take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes to actually open it. A few weeks ago I wiped out everything and installed Big Sur and then selectively copied dat back making sure I didn't bring back anything Kodak from the Time Machine backup and I no longer have that issue now.

Donomo

It looks like they are going to allow me to selectively restore files. I still don't think a full restore would be an issue in this case. The most recent Time Machine back-up is from March, long before there were any issues with the machine. The problem turned out to be a hardware problem, not a software problem.