inpO2 vs Dynastrip

Started by Grimace, July 30, 2010, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

So, I'm looking for an impo system and came across impO2.
I didn't realize that the same company made Dynastrip that most seem familiar with.

For my needs, inpO2 should work fine, we don't do a lot of jobs a day, or very complicated ones either.
We have basically a dozen or so "standard" layouts. Has anyone used inpO2? I downloaded the demo, and while I was pretty confused at first, I got a handle on it and was able to run through a Wizard setup and get the results I wanted. I've been at a whole 4 hours :wink:, but can't seem to figure out how to save a layout for use with the Wizard presets. Any Ideas?

I like this impo for it's price ($850 for basic) and visual proof ability. I checked out some of the other Acrobat plugins like Quite Imposing (ridiculous/worthless website BTW) and didn't care for that type of interface.

Or  would I be better off with Dynastrip?

Joe

Quote from: Grimace on July 30, 2010, 10:52:30 AMSo, I'm looking for an impo system and came across impO2.
I didn't realize that the same company made Dynastrip that most seem familiar with.

For my needs, inpO2 should work fine, we don't do a lot of jobs a day, or very complicated ones either.
We have basically a dozen or so "standard" layouts. Has anyone used inpO2? I downloaded the demo, and while I was pretty confused at first, I got a handle on it and was able to run through a Wizard setup and get the results I wanted. I've been at a whole 4 hours :wink:, but can't seem to figure out how to save a layout for use with the Wizard presets. Any Ideas?

I like this impo for it's price ($850 for basic) and visual proof ability. I checked out some of the other Acrobat plugins like Quite Imposing (ridiculous/worthless website BTW) and didn't care for that type of interface.

Or  would I be better off with Dynastrip?

I demo'd it and liked it a lot. Can't answer that specific question as it's been awhile.

If you don't mind doing all of your imposing within Acrobat Inp02 is a great choice.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Grimace

I do imposing now in Acrobat with PDF Snake. Some of the smaller sheet sizes will impose on the imagesetter RIP, but that imposition sucks.
InpO2 would be a big step up for me. It would be nice to have something that was able to share layout profiles between workstations though.
I don't want to have to create everything twice; for each machine license.

frailer

It would depend on how much off-beat/serious imposing you do. Am not sure what imPO2's features extend to, beyond basic booklet and flat work. Hopefully someone who actually uses it will show up.
We had Dynastrip, but no longer use it. It was out of date, and incompatible with APPE rendering. Their latest is OK, am sure, but you will pay big bikkies. But aren't you looking at XMF? Providing you get the in-built impo, you will not need anything else, period/full-stop.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

Why not Quite Imposing Plus?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: mattbeals on July 30, 2010, 04:24:53 PMWhy not Quite Imposing Plus?
Good idea. I hear positive things about it. There may be a trial version you can run. Don't be put off by their website. It's a bit whacky/basic, but they are a great bunch; very responsive with support. Am guessing it would be cheaper than the Dynagram product, but you can check that out.

Sorry, just had a vision of the day at Quite Software. 0600 hrs: Matins. 0630: Porridge...more prayers. 0830: commence code cutting. 1200: Pause for porridge, plus whatever 1st Class protein is in the larder from yesterday. Prep haggis for supper. 1400 hrs: Cut more code.... etc...you get my drift. Somewhat fanciful.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Grimace

Quote from: mattbeals on July 30, 2010, 04:24:53 PMWhy not Quite Imposing Plus?

You know, I originally thought it (Quite impo) was too expensive, I could swear that the last time I checked their goofy site the price was a thousand pounds.
I just looked, and it is half that, weird.
I haven't looked into quite imposing plus, but had downloaded the base version, seemed like I had to still do a lot of my own calculating and the impositions were specific to number of pages. Meaning I couldn't apply the same layout to different sheet sizes or page counts. I can use Illustrator if I want to do that. I can give it another trial, but really the site puts me off "quite" a bit. Nice to hear that they have good support, because the documentation that was included was pretty poor.

Frailer I was hip on XMF. The owners not at all. Too expensive.
I will try to convince them once again, but I'm pretty sure the cost of XMF kept him from allowing the purchase of the Platesetter. ( not knowing that the two are separate) - Partially my fault, I tried to sell him XMF as being necessary to run a new platesetter so as to get as much as I could.
I will have to come back with two separate price points with imposition and platesetter vs XMF. It's a stupid dance.

frailer

Not sure what you would be sending to a platesetter in the absence of XMF. Your old postscript RIP? I know from experience it's hard to paint the productivity picture of setter/APPE RIP (with bundled impo). All I know is, in our shop, we have gone from 2 to 1 op (me, jack-of-all), just by bringing it in. Our part-time casual is pretty much sickness/holiday insurance. Joe and others, on different systems, will testify to this scenario. It's getting it to sink in to management, is the problem.

Grimace

That is the kind of scenario I would be getting too. The gal the works with me is half out the door mentally, she has been wanting to retire since before I started.
She has tons of vacation time every year and just took a month off for foot surgery, which slowed her down a bit. As much as my pride says I can handle the load myself, having two people is necessary.
But........having a platesetter would go a long way to alleviate the load.

AS far as impO2, the system is APPE impostition. It works as a plug in for Acrobat.

frailer

That sounds like fun.   :sarcasm:  By APPE imposition, I mean more integrated with a workflow, like XMF's, or PREPS' integration with Prinergy, (however they do it).

Grimace

well, I've been going through the trial version of inpO2, and my head hurts.

Not very intuitive, no real idea of how to approach a "from scratch" job.
So I went to the Quite Imposing site, to read their manual and get a better idea of the Quite Imposing plus. Sorry fellas, no way I can recommend that my boss spend $900 on imposition software that has such a silly website.
Maybe it's me, but when i want to see a price to show my supervisor, I shouldn't have to go through 8 different screens to finally reach a currency converter, which was the only thing that indicated any kind of price. I figured their website was going to a preview of the software, and I was right.
No way I'm gonna try that goofy product.

As a side note, PDF Snake was only $250 and does everything that Quite Plus does. The only (big) drawback is that it is PC only.

frailer

Och laddie! I think ya bein' a bit picky.   :laugh:      But I'll say a wee prayer for ye...   :grin:

Joe

Quote from: Grimace on August 02, 2010, 04:32:46 PMwell, I've been going through the trial version of inpO2, and my head hurts.

Not very intuitive, no real idea of how to approach a "from scratch" job.
So I went to the Quite Imposing site, to read their manual and get a better idea of the Quite Imposing plus. Sorry fellas, no way I can recommend that my boss spend $900 on imposition software that has such a silly website.
Maybe it's me, but when i want to see a price to show my supervisor, I shouldn't have to go through 8 different screens to finally reach a currency converter, which was the only thing that indicated any kind of price. I figured their website was going to a preview of the software, and I was right.
No way I'm gonna try that goofy product.

As a side note, PDF Snake was only $250 and does everything that Quite Plus does. The only (big) drawback is that it is PC only.

They've got some pretty decent videos on the inp02 web site and if you contact them I am sure they would be happy to do a webinar. I can put the man in charge in touch with you if you would like. I did a webinar with him. Very informative and the guy knows his stuff.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Maybe the Quite Software website is a bit simplistic but the software is incredibly powerful. There's not a lot that you can't do with it. Guys at Kodak sell Quite Imposing, and they own Preps. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you dismiss Quite Imposing based on the website. Spend more money for a flashy website if you want.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: mattbeals on August 02, 2010, 07:49:40 PMMaybe the Quite Software website is a bit simplistic but the software is incredibly powerful. There's not a lot that you can't do with it. Guys at Kodak sell Quite Imposing, and they own Preps. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you dismiss Quite Imposing based on the website. Spend more money for a flashy website if you want.

Amen, Brother Matt.      :cheesy:

...they are Scots, after all.  Squeezing a lot out of 'frugal' code.     :laugh: