Affinity Publisher 1.9

Started by Syphon, February 07, 2021, 11:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Rodi on July 14, 2023, 09:00:07 AMAffinity Publisher 1.1.1 the latest and greatest!
Latest and greatest is version 2.1.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Rodi

Quote from: Joe on July 14, 2023, 09:44:37 AM
Quote from: Rodi on July 14, 2023, 09:00:07 AMAffinity Publisher 1.1.1 the latest and greatest!
Giambattista Bodoni was a great printer from Parma. His printing was excellent, however, his pages were strewn with typos!!
Gabba Gabba Hey

madbugger

Quote from: Rodi on July 26, 2023, 09:07:21 AM
Giambattista Bodoni was a great printer from Parma. His printing was excellent, however, his pages were strewn with typos!!

I think he also invented the chicken parma. ;D ;D ;D
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Rodi on July 26, 2023, 09:07:21 AM

Hey Rodi, what's that guitar and what's it's significance? Just wondering is all

Rodi

Hey pspdfppdfxhd,

It's a wonderful guitar made by Mike Shishkov, formerly of Hamer guitars. He builds them one at a time, with master skills, excellent design great wood and great hardware. Top is Sitka, Hondouran Mahogany body, real brazillian rosewood fretboard (from out growth, perfectly legal). The pickups are fantastic, medium output single/humbucker (with a push pull for another single coil) that is close to 1980s Hamer pickups.

Also 25.5" Scale.

I also have a double cut Jr model by him.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Rodi

So, I had a pdf of a job with type 1 fonts, Oh the humanity. Well. I took into Affinity Publisher and was able to do the changes (a letterhead and second sheet, which was changed to a combo, nice exact repeat work!) much easier than editing in Pitstop/Acrobat (if I told you what version of Pitstop I'd have to kill you). Short order, it kept the spots and now it's a page layout file and en exported pdf.

I keep using it more and more for these kinds of things. I figure if I have to spend time on a file, I may as well bite the bullet once and then get a good file out of it.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Rodi

So Affinity Suite is up to 2.31.

I am now using it quite regularly for simple items. Since there are so few production users that I know of, I have to come up with the solutions to problems or ditch it in favor of InDesign, which happens at times. Presently, for me the biggest issue is in exporting to PDF for right spot colors and not processing out of items that should be black and the links are correct. It's work. Affinity is great, but works in it's own way, and sometimes its frustrating. Sometimes it's just stupid how they get from one point to another, for me.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Tracy

you seem to be a person that likes to tackle problems!!

Slappy

I know they have a Forum, do they take any kind of usability Suggestions? Seems like you have a pretty decent working knowledge of the app, I've only ever fired it up at home on occasion to mess around.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Rodi

Quote from: Tracy on January 09, 2024, 09:14:27 AMyou seem to be a person that likes to tackle problems!!
It's forced upon me, have to figure out how to get files to plate... and given the negative budget, I gotta get it done. I work in a trade shop, it's ugly sometimes, and it's up to me for a lot because the next guy down the line may not have the way to fix it... I fail enough of the time, lol.
Quote from: Slappy on January 09, 2024, 12:10:28 PMI know they have a Forum, do they take any kind of usability Suggestions? Seems like you have a pretty decent working knowledge of the app, I've only ever fired it up at home on occasion to mess around.
Forum is a mess over there, I post occasionally, but it's not a pro kinda thing. However they answer some good technical questions like how far from the  decimal will go 0.123 is standard but 0.123456 .

They can't answer this plaguing issue for me that happens since publisher came out. One color (Pantone) PDF adjusted for folds, well if it happens to be the same file twice and they touch, it goes to process... Now I just skip it or do other stupid workarounds... but it's a good little program. On font snob sites they decry how the fonts are done, but they don't question lack of spot colors in Adobe.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Rodi

So I bought a brand new computer for home, a cheapie, and ACER 1780 I5 13400 processor, but I added 32Gig of Ram and will add a 4 Terabyte internal SSD at some point. It has changed my relationship with the Affinity Suite for the better! Many issues I had with Affinity Suite was in crashing and performance, but my old Dell was only letting one program at a time work....

So I would suggests to any prepress types to look into it for one reason... PANTONE Colors... It is kooky and crazy that a little program can slay the king in this critical area.

When the desktop revolution started there was a claim of doing all work in one package (layout, vectors and rasters) and I have worked on two other programs that tried (Canvas big fail!, Oris PDF Tuner, works but costly) Affinity hits a sweetspot. They have a cool robust brush plug in community too... Though I buy em and forget em, lol.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Time to go sit behind an elephant and wait for it to take a dump so that my morning is complete. I use affinity at home. Dammit....
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".

jv58

I've been using this at home for about a year and was just getting used to it. This is terrible news. Get ready for the switch to a subscription model.