good LCD monitor for color work?

Started by kermit, September 17, 2007, 07:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I am not talking about Eizo or Quatto here but something with more realistic price below 1K that you can calibrate with eye one and iMatch or ColorEyesDisplay or similar.

Any suggestions?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

kermit

nobody has good monitor here? How about a so-so monitor?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

Well I don't as we don't calibrate our monitors but I felt bad about you talking to yourself in here so I thought I would respond. I just go by the numbers myself.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Thanks Joe. I know I could count on you. I guess everyone else is watching football/baseball?

Going by numbers is good but you have to have lots of experience. If you don't have experience is time consuming and EXPENSIVE (read: many proofs)

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

staten, I threw a short run-down on the NEC 2090UXi monitor last week under General Prepress>Awesome Monitor. We're in the same boat, it's all about budget vs quality; budget usually wins, but I think this one would be in range for you. Assuming U R in USA, I reckon about $K1 there. But, TFTs REALLY need scientific calibration, more so than CRT. It's a technicality I only partly understand, [to do with the very different nature of an electron gun vs. a TFT array], but I've been lurking around pro photographers forums in my efforts to find out more on this. There's no way I'd get one without getting the basICColor calibration Squid2 puck and software. [it's a re-badged Eye-One, I think]. I always assumed monitor calibration was difficult...not so. It's all done quickly through dialogue boxes, set and GO!
Anyway, it's the only one that's come within my budget range, that's anywhere near OK. TFTs have made a leap in the last 2 years. Should just about be there in the next 2.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

almaink

My Mitsubishi is great, got an Eyeone to calibrate it. I've also had great luck with NEC monitors.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

kermit

Quote from: frailer on September 18, 2007, 10:31:58 PMstaten, I threw a short run-down on the NEC 2090UXi monitor

You don't like Apple monitors? Squid is eye1 display 2. I noticed that most people like ColorEyes Display with Basicolor as close second. I am located downtown Manhattan.
I am testing i1 2 display, i1 pro, Monaco dtp-94 with iMatch, ProfileMaker, Monaco Optix XR, basicolor and Coloreyes Display Pro. I like CED best but I don't like they policy (3 computers limit) as I have many more to calibrate.

kermit

Quote from: almaink on September 19, 2007, 07:29:12 AMMy Mitsubishi is great, got an Eyeone to calibrate it. I've also had great luck with NEC monitors.

Which Mitsu do you have? Which i1 Display or Pro?

The Stevinator

SJM

kermit

Quote from: The Stevinator on September 19, 2007, 08:14:51 AMapple cimena display....

I only have those but I was thinking to spice things up and switch to something else. I switched from HP to Ricoh as my color laser printer and I am much happier now.

I was thinking NEC, Samsung...

almaink

Quote from: staten on September 19, 2007, 08:11:52 AM
Quote from: almaink on September 19, 2007, 07:29:12 AMMy Mitsubishi is great, got an Eyeone to calibrate it. I've also had great luck with NEC monitors.

Which Mitsu do you have? Which i1 Display or Pro?

Diamond Pro 2070SB, Eye One Pro
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

kermit

QuoteDiamond Pro 2070SB, Eye One Pro

It's a good monitor but that's not LCD. I cannot justify THAT much space

frailer

Most Apples, are, from what I can gather, [and things are not very transparent on this topic], S-PVA panels. Mid-range. Also, they are not MultiSync. This is an issue for calibration. Having said that, they are much better than your average Tn mass market panel. As I mentioned earlier, be a PITA when you are making enquiries, and find out if the panel is Tn, PVA/SVA, or S-IPS. They're the three tiers, basically. If the person you are talking to looks confused when you ask, go somewhere else and find someone who knows a bit about it.
Have heard a rumour, [and it's only a rumour], that Apple display quality is slipping a bit because they are under price pressure.
Most people are unfamiliar with the underlying panel technology, and that ignorance is quietly exploited by the vendors, IMHO.
 Hope this isn't too much information...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

The Stevinator

well, apples are also SWOP certified.  so while it may be more difficult to calibrate.  it will stay consistent.
SJM