Prinergy - did you over buy or under buy

Started by David, February 15, 2010, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

okay, I out of my two days of meetings (9 hours each day... OMG!)

Okay, I need a little more specific info, and I thank you all for your help.

Did you get the Powerpack?
How many normalizers?
How many concurrent prinergy clients?
Pandora?
how many high res renderers and low res renderers?
Harmony?
staccato?
dot shop?
OPI?
VPS?
Archiving?

We are looking into the specifics and from the info I have seen and heard (I have responses from others (see PP, Kodak) it appears you don't get a lot of specifics from the sales guy.

We're just looking to nail down some details that would help us in our questions/decision making process from you guys who actually use it and have seen what works and what doesn't work. I appreciate the comments from users like Jonathan and Joe, that's what I'm looking for, good and bad.
Lay it on me, I can take it, I'm in prepress for life...

thank you and have a nice day...

:cool:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Did you get the Powerpack? - No
How many normalizers? - 2
How many concurrent prinergy clients? - 10
Pandora? - No
how many high res renderers and low res renderers? - Not sure on this....Render Stations - 0   |   High or Low Res to File JTP - 3
Harmony? - Harmony has been replaced by ColorFlow - Yes
staccato? - No
dot shop? - No
OPI? - Yes
VPS? - Yes
Archiving? - Yes (Disk based)

========Things you never asked for here========

RBA? - Yes
Insite Prepress Portal - Yes
Insite Store Front - No
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

excellent Joe, once again, thanks for all your help!

cheers,
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

johnny_jay

The sales person should put you in touch with an expert that will help with what they believe you will want or need.

Did you get the Powerpack? No
How many normalizers? Not sure
How many concurrent prinergy clients? 5
Pandora? No
how many high res renderers and low res renderers? - not sure
Harmony? yes
staccato? no
dot shop? yes
OPI? yes
VPS? yes
Archiving? no

Insite  - yes
PDF Layered Versioning - yes - a must have if you have projects with black plate changes
We also have two servers, a Primary and a secondary
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Jonathan

After working with prinergy 'experts' the good news about prinergy dell hardware problems is that the majority can be easily googled.   :shocked:

I wish I were kidding but I'm not......it worked out quite well....should I send my bill to Kodak? :undecided:

Good luck.

David

okay, looks like it's getting closer...

New question, what are you running your local client on?
PC? MAC?
How much ram, etc?
Livin' la Vida Loca

johnny_jay

We run our Clients on Mac G5s - 3 workstations:
Main production station has 5 Gig of ram - only other software on Machine is Acro 9 pro with pitstop, Firefox for Insite
Backup workstation has 1 gig of ram, Acro 7 with pitstop and misc page layout software
Preflight (me) has 1.5 gig of ram, acro 9 with pitstop and misc software

We are a PDF only shop so we kept the main box for production lean

Plating has a Mac Pro - 2 gig of ram - Acrobat reader 9

Pressroom running Pressproof  - Mac G5 with 5 gig of ram
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Aaron

2 Mac Pro's with 4GB RAM each is all we use. Do have one Win XP machine that hardly gets used but I did notice Workshop runs a bit faster on it. Anyone else notice Workshop running a bit faster on a PC?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

David

great thanks!
Ours are probably going to be PC's (they have more RAM I believe) maybe Macs, but I'll need to up the RAM in those for sure, only got 1 gig in most and they're G5s, with the exception of my Intel Mac.

Second question...
Did any of you get an ROI before purchasing?
If so, after you got it installed and using it, how close was it?

thanks for all your help guys, it's very much appreciated.

David
Livin' la Vida Loca

Aaron

I'm sure the owner here did an ROI but I wasn't involved in that.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Farabomb

Kodak will say one thing and do another to get you to buy. Overall the system is good but beware of kodak changing the rules on the fly.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Aaron

Just look over the contract closely. We had a number of hardware and software elements we packaged all together in our deal and I did find a couple things they had either listed incorrectly or wasn't even necessary.

David

Quote from: Aaron on March 03, 2010, 10:27:20 AMI did find a couple things they had either listed incorrectly or wasn't even necessary.

doesn't surprise me with that comment, LOL

thanks, keep em coming!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

We run the clients mostly on iMacs with between 2-4 gig of ram. We also have workshop on a couple of PC's, Vista and Win 2003, and it works fine there too. The problem with PC's is that I would rather have a screwdriver punched through my eye socket than use Preps for Windows.

I'm sure the owner did some kind of ROI but I don't have that info. Ours was a special circumstance as we had a prospective customer that wanted us to print a LOT of their directories but they would not consider it as long as we didn't have Prinergy/Insite. That customer is the main reason we bought it.

Also consider your networking. If you like using AFP it would be wise to use ExtremeZ-IP with it. In fact it will be the only way to use AFP if you have Win 2008 server 64 bit (highly recommended by me) on the Prinergy server. We don't use it as we have switched all of our shares over to SMB. Pretty happy with that but there are still a few gotcha's with that.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Joe,

You don't have any problems with legacy files that were copied to the server with AFP before changing to SMB (like with fonts?)

And, why did you feel the need to change to SMB? File names got too long or does Prinergy not work with AFP?
or you did this because you're running SL?
We're running 10.4.11 on all our Macs still, will Prinergy work with that?

so many questions, so little time...
not really, but still, just trying to educate myself before the crap hits the fans, if you know what I mean.
Livin' la Vida Loca