Canon imagePRESS C7010VP vs. Others

Started by Slappy, August 25, 2011, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcarelli

let me know if you decide to sell your HP5000

Slappy

Quote from: tpatterson on August 25, 2011, 12:38:54 PMwe just ordered a Ricoh C901, it's not here yet.
What's your ETA? I'd be very interested to hear about setup, calibrations, etc. I think my Boss might be going to look at the Ricoh this week, maybe I'll tag along. He said last week that a Heidelberg guy called him directly to "talk up" the Ricoh but he didn't understand why. I clued him in to the "partnership" but unless the hardware is substantially better or at least comparable to the Canon, no amount of fantastic back-end will sway my opinion.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on August 29, 2011, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: tpatterson on August 25, 2011, 12:38:54 PMwe just ordered a Ricoh C901, it's not here yet.
What's your ETA? I'd be very interested to hear about setup, calibrations, etc. I think my Boss might be going to look at the Ricoh this week, maybe I'll tag along. He said last week that a Heidelberg guy called him directly to "talk up" the Ricoh but he didn't understand why. I clued him in to the "partnership" but unless the hardware is substantially better or at least comparable to the Canon, no amount of fantastic back-end will sway my opinion.

ETA is there's tape on the floor where it goes, so "soon" - they signed the papers. I won't know anything about calibration or operation and the operator is a grumpy old biker who thinks I'm a POS (and everyone else who is not a "pressman") so he won't be sharing. I'll get to learn only what I need to prep VDP stuff for it.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Slappy

Heh, I hear ya. I'd be interested to hear about the training since I'm That Guy too and I've seen nothing about how Canon does any of it yet. Hell, I never did establish what we'd even be using for VDP production.

I think the Ricoh is completely out of the running at this point, for whatever reason.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

It appears the Powers the Be inked a deal with Canon this week, so we'll be sportin' that 7010VP by mid-October!

Now, to carve out a space for it...  :shocked:

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on September 16, 2011, 02:28:49 PM...Now, to carve out a space for it...  :shocked:
Our Ricoh got here yesterday, we've squeezed it in and it's running. Well, people are being trained on it at least. It's the Graphic Arts edition!! Whatever that means, lol.
vdp donkey

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on August 29, 2011, 02:04:54 PMthe operator is a grumpy old biker

I thought DPs would be run from the prepress benches, pretty much.  Getting a GOB to run a new digital press sounds like an oil/water mix.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on September 16, 2011, 02:46:58 PM
Quote from: t-pat on August 29, 2011, 02:04:54 PMthe operator is a grumpy old biker

I thought DPs would be run from the prepress benches, pretty much.  Getting a GOB to run a new digital press sounds like an oil/water mix.    :undecided:

No way I have time to do what I do prepping lost cat flyers and fully variable jobs for Big 3 automakers, AND throw paper.
vdp donkey

t-pat

oh and he's already running the 2 x700's and the OCE varioprint Ultra, so what's one more?
vdp donkey

David

aw hell, that's easy....

I can do that with both hands tied behind your back...

down hill, with the wind

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on September 16, 2011, 03:20:01 PMoh and he's already running the 2 x700's and the OCE varioprint Ultra, so what's one more?

Fair enough. Maybe I'll change my tune when we get one.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on September 16, 2011, 08:24:29 PM
Quote from: t-pat on September 16, 2011, 03:20:01 PMoh and he's already running the 2 x700's and the OCE varioprint Ultra, so what's one more?

Fair enough. Maybe I'll change my tune when we get one.

He was a prepress operator when we had *one*. Once they got another one he went out to that room full time and I was hired in prep.
vdp donkey

Slappy

Sounds like - fun. Our Indigo Op is already bitching that he won't be able to run both machines & do trimming, folding, packaging & shipping all by himself. And in all honesty, I agree with him. They keep hiring for bindery bodies for the offset work work but we can't get any help getting our shit out the door, which is usually on a much tighter schedule that conventional anyway.

Whatever the case, It'll be interesting no doubt. I'll be sure to document the install as if moves forward.

t-pat

FWIW our current digital workflow is this:

Prepres preps all files (litho, digital, and hybrid litho/digital) and makes final pdfs for the operator to output. (2 full time operators plus one full time designer that can do most file prep as well)

1 digital press operator running 2 x700s, 1 OCE varioprint, and 1 Ricoh whatever-it-is-called. He takes final pdfs and outputs to devices. Basic imposition done on rips for devices for static jobs, otherwise imposed by XMPie or Preps.

Stuff goes to bindery from there.
vdp donkey

Slappy

You get yours install yet? Ours just arrived today, still in the shrink wrap so Monday/Tuesday they'll get us up & running I suppose. I still have no new Macs though, and no software to get VDP jobs over to this machine. Guess we'll scramble & cross that bridge when we come to it eh?