Explain something to me

Started by David, September 11, 2015, 10:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

so, can you get away with only doing the 2nd refine as a general rule?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on September 11, 2015, 12:10:10 PMso, can you get away with only doing the 2nd refine as a general rule?

Well technically you can't perform a 2nd refine without doing a 1st refine first. :tongue:

Like I said 99% of the time we only do a first refine which includes trapping, CM, Normalizing, preflight, etc...rarely do we use the 2nd refine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

I heard of some douchebag down the way that does THREE refines!
 :rotf:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 11, 2015, 12:18:42 PMI heard of some douchebag down the way that does THREE refines!
 :rotf:

Just for that I'm going to go and refine some 6 (SIX) times. No douchebag is going to beat me.

Mikie

I tried making an RBA that looped refines... shuts the client down. Pretty bored here today

David

Quote from: Joe on September 11, 2015, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: david on September 11, 2015, 12:10:10 PMso, can you get away with only doing the 2nd refine as a general rule?

Well technically you can't perform a 2nd refine without doing a 1st refine first. :tongue:

Like I said 99% of the time we only do a first refine which includes trapping, CM, Normalizing, preflight, etc...rarely do we use the 2nd refine.
I am using their naming convention, so there!    :tongue:

I thought you said that a lot of those options were not available in the"1st" refine?
but, for reals, you can do the "2nd" refine without doing a "1st refine" and prinergy is happy? I just did one and it did not complain.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Yeah I said technically...like you can't smoke the second cigarette of the day without smoking the first one. :tongue:

But yes you can run the PT named 2nd Refine on the original but the Color Mapping function will not be available. You can only do Color Mapping on a Normalized PDF and as far as I know the only reason to do a 2nd refine is to do color mapping during the refine phase.

David

so, to sum up...

if you live in a perfect world and you get pdf files that are correct (if you assume that it is what "they" want to print), you can do away with refining the file twice. If you need to "fix" colorants (as in mapping or converting), you will need a "2nd" refine to do that.

:huh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Not exactly. You can do conversions on a first refine but you can't do color mapping.

The only instance where I need a second refine is say a customer sends in a job that has 3 spot reds and one if them is PMS 032 and it also has 3 spot blues and one of them is Reflex Blue and the customer wants all 3 reds to be PMS 032 and all 3 blues to be Reflex Blue. At first refine all I can do is either keep all 6 spot colors or convert to process so I do my first refine and keep all 6 spot colors. Then I go back and run the 2nd refine with color mapping and convert the other 2 reds to PMS 032 and convert the other two blues to Reflex Blue. My 2nd refine will only have two spots, PMS 032 and Reflex Blue and when the customer views them in Insite to approve their job they will see only the correct number of colors instead of file with 6 spot colors or a file converted to CMYK...neither of which they want.

If you get files with spots and they need to process you convert to process on the first refine and be done with it.

IMO you only need to do a 2nd refine for Color Mapping.

born2print

We do it twice but we do it nice©

Joe

Do you need the 2nd one for color mapping? If not what are you doing in the first and then the second? I've never heard of doing it that way but I wasn't around before version 5. What am I missing?

born2print

My theory is the 2 refine method used to be important, but no longer.
But we have embraced that from the start so all of our #1 refines are bare-bones and all of our #2 refines do all of the trapping, color converting, color management, GCR, etc...

David

our 1st refine does:
fonts and images
normalize
pdf preflight
spot color handling
color convert
optimize

the 2nd refine does:
fonts and images
normalize
spot color handling
color convert
trap
optimize

I was asked why we did two. I never knew exactly why you had to do it twice, it's just "that's the way we were lernt".
Livin' la Vida Loca

Mikie

Quote from: david on September 11, 2015, 01:49:19 PMour 1st refine does:
fonts and images
normalize
pdf preflight
spot color handling
color convert
optimize

the 2nd refine does:
fonts and images
normalize
spot color handling
color convert
trap
optimize

I was asked why we did two. I never knew exactly why you had to do it twice, it's just "that's the way we were lernt".

so first time it is doing everything but trapping, but preflights. second time it isn't preflighting but is trapping.  Not needed just use the process plan with trapping and turn on preflight. When you guys do the second refine, are you doing it to the input file, or the subpages from the first refine?

born2print

1st refine = Input
2nd = SubPages