Muller Martini Saddle stitcher - problems saddle stitching digital work

Started by impodave, December 03, 2015, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impodave

Hello.

1) I am having repeated issues with staples punching through the center spine on digitally printed booklets.
Doesn't matter how much or how little clinch I apply, nor what the length of the staples are.

2) Sometimes the double sheet caliper wheel will split the center spine on the inside also.

These problems seem their worst on coated papers.  I think the drying action of the fuser on the copier, digital press, or whatever you want to call it, is making the paper brittle and it becomes that much weaker with folding.

Has anyone had any success getting around these issues ??

Thanx !!
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Yikes! You may be on the right track with the paper being tortured.
I assume you run similar weights, etc.. stock conventional without these issues
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

I will say, most digital stuff I see still cracks more than offset stuff, because the toner is thicker and more brittle, after being cooked.

My Heatset web is the only other press I see cracking, and that is only if they are running slow.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mwc

dependant on the paper type and weight, we have to score a lot of our digital covers.

delooch

we had shitloads of saddles-stitched booklets come off the finisher off the cannon, it was just easier to pre-score the stock and it would always come out fine. just do it be default now.

Slappy

Ditto, we even score heavier text weight jobs coming off the digital machines. Our in-house booklet maker is a Duplo, not sure where that falls on the spectrum of the machines, for versatility.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Ear