CWS paper profiles

Started by DigiCorn, October 03, 2019, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Somewhere during this process, we turned off something on the fiery that connected to the network NAS server. Also, the NAS server ran an update, so perhaps something broke on the server that disconnected it from the fiery. The Fiery is the only device on our LAN running Windows 7 (all the other Window boxes run 10 + 1 XP box for our ancient platemaker (it's really just a bird that pops out and chisels a plate from what it sees)). I digress. All devices on the LAN can *see* the Windows 7 box and the NAS server. The Windows 7 box can *see* all other devices on the LAN except the NAS server. The Windows 7 box can *see* the NAS server via web browser and IP address, but cannot connect directly to it. Any ideas? I did a web chat with Synology, but no answer. I have submitted a trouble ticket.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Is it possible the NAS software updated it to use SMB3? Win 7 might not be able to connect to SMB3 shares. You may need to enable SMB1 on the NAS to connect to it via Win 7.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

That's funny. I told the tech dude on web chat it was a Windows 7 Fiery and he had me up the parameters from SMB 2 to SMB 3. The settings cover a range between SMB 1 and SMB 3, so I don't think it hurts anything.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

OK so you say the Win 7 box can see the NAS via an IP address so why can't you just network via the IP address? If you really need to network via the NAS name instead of the IP address add the NAS to the Windows 7 hosts file and then reboot the Win 7 box and you should be able to see the NAS on the network after that.

DigiCorn

It ONLY sees the IP address through a web browser.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Still...try adding the NAS to the Win 7 hosts file and then reboot the Win 7 box.

DigiCorn

Nope. But, I did get it to work a different way...

I did these two things: First, I had turned the firewalls (public and private) off. They were back on again, so I turned them back off again. Second, There were two separate, unique places to activate SMB on the NAS server. Only one was checked. I just randomly found the second one (I wasn't looking for it). Once I ticked the box there, I checked the Fiery and it was back up and connecting. I'm not sure which of the two was the actual fix, but I suspect the firewall.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway