News:

Main Menu

Quark 8

Started by Joe, April 20, 2009, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Type

Yes, probably not...but you can upgrade 60 days before you pay for it then.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Stiv

Had it installed for a job I am working on now.

Having an issue with exported EPS w/OPI and images shifting. I know, who the hell uses OPI let alone EPS' anymore. We do.

Exported a PDF and the image fits.

we3dumys

Yeah- image shifting when using OPI is always pretty common- even in InDesign from my experience (CS1 was the most current version last time I had to mess with OPI though.)

I used the 60-day test drive for a while. We don't get enough Quark files to justify buying it, but everything I ran went through nice and smooth (mostly Q7 with a few Q6.5 files)- even the transparency flattening had almost no problems.

No, Quack 8 doesn't export live transparency.

I did hear a rumor that the next upgrade for 8.1 will be able to export live transparency though. Which will be REALLY nice to finally be able to PDF trap correctly from Quark PDF's.

beermonster

stiv - i hate quack ok, but are you sure there's no anti-aliasing on the edge of those images?

it can happen if say a feather or anti aliasing is applied to a tool prior to crop in photoshop - seen it and been bitten by it too, sadly - which is why i ask.

Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

WharfRat

Check to see if the picture box has a background color of "White". (A default for Quark)
If it does -  change it to none.
Rampage will trap to the White background, in the box, rather than the contone pix.

MSD

--
Having an issue with exported EPS w/OPI and images shifting. I know, who the hell uses OPI let alone EPS' anymore. We do.

Exported a PDF and the image fits.

I don't know if you can tell but there is a fine white line on the top (which is the right, since it is being rotated in the RIP) side of all the placed images with drop shadows in this job.

[/quote]

beermonster

quack's funny with stuff like this - check the image is actually big enough to fit the box

the white background tends to only be a default when runaround is set on
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Stiv

Images are cropped, meaning there is more to the images past the frames.

Picture box fills are white. There is a definite white line.

The bigger picture is we are using a procedure that has been improved and we don't take advantage of it. EPS w/OPI doesn't work, it has other issues also.

Get with PDF.

With the PDF, the book RIPs as it should.

Gutnbg

ALSO ...
If you still have any holdouts with older versions don't lose YOUR older version.

We have one ... count 'em, ONE, customer that uses Quack. She uses 6.x ... we have only 8 loaded, and are not allowed to load the older versions (don't ask; we can't ask, so you can't either). There are a gazillion things that go wrong when trying to open her files that don't happen when we use 6.5.
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Stiv

Quote from: Gutnbg on May 11, 2009, 08:55:06 PMALSO ...
If you still have any holdouts with older versions don't lose YOUR older version.

We have one ... count 'em, ONE, customer that uses Quack. She uses 6.x ... we have only 8 loaded, and are not allowed to load the older versions (don't ask; we can't ask, so you can't either). There are a gazillion things that go wrong when trying to open her files that don't happen when we use 6.5.

We do the same here, do you work here too?

DigitalCrapShoveler

I got 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 all loaded and ready. You are a fool to open any Quark file in any version other than the one the document was created in. Relying on Quark to be stable is like asking Gnub to watch your kids.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ps.   we also have all the versions of Quark (going back to v5, I'm too lazy to go check my old mac to see if I still have 4 loaded, tho).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Got our first Quark 8 file in today!!!
Back to customer to downsave...
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 12, 2009, 07:00:04 AMI got 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 all loaded and ready. You are a fool to open any Quark file in any version other than the one the document was created in. Relying on Quark to be stable is like asking Gnub to watch your kids.

I'm a stable, patient babysitter. At least I don't duct tape a pacifier in a baby's mouth.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 12, 2009, 07:00:04 AMI got 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 all loaded and ready. You are a fool to open any Quark file in any version other than the one the document was created in. Relying on Quark to be stable is like asking Gnub to watch your kids.
I dunno bro, open all in 8 has been good so far :fingers crossed:
Gnub, you still ok for a few hours Saturday night?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: born2print on May 12, 2009, 11:55:35 AM

I dunno bro, open all in 8 has been good so far :fingers crossed:

Agreed. Since 8 is the only version I have...I have no other choice. It's been good so far.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.