Typed in or corruption?

Started by frailer, September 09, 2009, 12:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Had problematic files from UK. Were Passport, but eventually got Single Language sent. Cut a long story short...these "typos" got through to print. Very small panel though. Client OK; they were in the soft proofs sent, as well as hard Black Magics sent.

Is it possible that those question marks could have crept in via Save Downs...different versions...similar? Or would someone have either typed 'em in, or they showed that way after a Pasted Word doc into Quark...or similar?

See screenshot.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

My guess is a font problem. Let me know what I win...if I win. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

i'm going with a font problem too - let me know what WE win...if we win.... :grin:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

As in...corruption? Of the fonts they sent? Was super-careful in activation, (their fonts used). There were about 5 occurrences only. The others we found. There was a lot of text in this. A generalised font problem woulda shown up more, and more obvious, surely.   :undecided:

We are talking Quark, though. And had problems from the start, anyway.   :rolleyes:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beermonster

mebbe its the flux capacitor, but i'd possibly try a straight install into system and not use FX - just a hunch - mebbe quack has an issue with fex and this font - try it - ya never know....

DigitalCrapShoveler

The pattern and frequency... maybe a ligature?
Member #285 - Civilian

Chilbear

My bet is they saved the document down by crossing from Mac to PC then reopening into Mac. I see the question mark when it comes cross platform and there is something not quite right in the font that they linked to on the PC side.

frailer

All food for thought. Just noticed that they both occur after "of"...and followed by a Cap. What I do know is we'll be watching our arses next time, with this lot. We do have to reproduce stuff from them occasionally.
When desingers are flailing about helplessly in InDesign, that's bad enough, but when it's Quark, well...
Maybe beer knows why the Brits cling to it more than elsewhere... :undecided:

jimking

Quote from: Chilbear on September 09, 2009, 05:47:39 AMMy bet is they saved the document down by crossing from Mac to PC then reopening into Mac. I see the question mark when it comes cross platform and there is something not quite right in the font that they linked to on the PC side.
Agree.

beermonster

no idea mate - then again i got one customer/desighner who told me, in NO uncertain terms, that quack was their preferred software of choice by far....

at that point i became quiet before i killed them :death:

quack sucks - still, so far, NO reason to upgrade to latest shyte version......

tiger lil

we had a problem like that with quark, did they collect the fonts that they used in job? If not that's a problem we had a client that kerned fonts in job and found out that if you don't use the exact font they used kerning won't stick. Try it and see.

Tracy

Quote from: frailer on September 09, 2009, 12:06:58 AMHad problematic files from UK. Were Passport, but eventually got Single Language sent. Cut a long story short...these "typos" got through to print. Very small panel though. Client OK; they were in the soft proofs sent, as well as hard Black Magics sent.

Is it possible that those question marks could have crept in via Save Downs...different versions...similar? Or would someone have either typed 'em in, or they showed that way after a Pasted Word doc into Quark...or similar?

See screenshot.
I created that problem once, saving down on a pc and moving to a mac
let me know what i win! :tongue:

G_Town

Quote from: Chilbear on September 09, 2009, 05:47:39 AMMy bet is they saved the document down by crossing from Mac to PC then reopening into Mac. I see the question mark when it comes cross platform and there is something not quite right in the font that they linked to on the PC side.

I saw this exact thing years ago when we printed books almost always the quark doc was from a PEEECEEE.

gnubler

I used to have similar problems when opening a PC Pagemaker file in Mac Quark. The formatting of some text boxes was just screwed up and even trying a copy/paste of plain text wouldn't fix it - the text box itself was evil. Had to just make new text frames and paste plain text into them, then reformat the text.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

BTW, this was easily fixed in PSP, had we seen it,.... as a test.... See shot.

You guys established PEEECEEE involvement from customer querying? Looked at that font in FEX Pro Info...nothing giveaway there....just wondering. Much to catch up on most of your many years on this crap.   :cheesy: