Quark 8 and Trim Size

Started by Aaron, March 10, 2010, 09:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I don't have Q8 yet (holding off as long as I can) but I have a couple clients using it and when they send me pdf's generated out of Q8 the trim size is never correct. It defaults to the total pasteboard size. Or size of the entire page including cropmarks and everything. I'm able to open the pdf in Acrobat and use my Prinergy Geometry editor to redefine the crop area, but I don't have this issue in Q7 so I don't know where to tell them to go to fix it so I don't have to keep doing this.

Anyone else have this issue?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't. Quark 8 and Quark 7 are very similar. I think your customer needs some schooling on how to output a file.
Member #285 - Civilian

Aaron

Well the funny thing is when he had Q7 they came over correct. Then after he upgraded to Q8 they are all incorrect. Stupid Quark.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DigitalCrapShoveler

No arguments from me. Still feel pretty confident your customer needs to pay attention to what he/she is doing. I don't have this problem, and never heard of it. Now, the problem I was having.... activation of Quark 8 on my iMac. Running Snow Leopard..... have it currently running on my G5 running Tiger. I install, plug in the activation code... Quark unexpectedly quits. Run it in Demo... runs like a champ. So, I get online and discover this is an apparent bug. Quark's solution? A 750 MB download. It works, but c'mon.... 750 MB!?!?
Member #285 - Civilian

Aaron

Haha. It's almost like they don't know what they are doing. I see Q8 PDF's are still flattened. Amazing.

DigitalCrapShoveler

HEY! They're "working" on it. Hahahahahahahah, problem is... when they get that fixed, 2 GB download.
Member #285 - Civilian

Aaron

Yeah, and printing will be dead.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on March 10, 2010, 10:10:51 AMHaha. It's almost like they don't know what they are doing. I see Q8 PDF's are still flattened. Amazing.

Flattening is user selectable and the default is to flatten. You need to tell them to set it to retain transparency. Get ready for some huge file sizes though.

As far as trim, I get files from Quark 8 for one particular job and the trim and media size are correct except for the way the customer does it. It's a newspaper and they make their document size to the live area and then add the 1/2 inch of white border using bleed. Prinergy sees (correctly) the trim as right exactly where the type and images end with no white space around it. I usually change it with the geometry editor so in Insite Preview I see the page with the white space. If it's done correctly in Quark with the page size being equal to the trim size of the book and then the PDF should come out correctly. I've never seen it use the size of the pasteboard.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Live transparency is NOT dependable in Quark. Just to reiterate. Keep 'em flat if you want them to work.
Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Quote from: Joe on March 10, 2010, 10:51:36 AM
Quote from: Aaron on March 10, 2010, 10:10:51 AMHaha. It's almost like they don't know what they are doing. I see Q8 PDF's are still flattened. Amazing.

Flattening is user selectable and the default is to flatten. You need to tell them to set it to retain transparency. Get ready for some huge file sizes though.

As far as trim, I get files from Quark 8 for one particular job and the trim and media size are correct except for the way the customer does it. It's a newspaper and they make their document size to the live area and then add the 1/2 inch of white border using bleed. Prinergy sees (correctly) the trim as right exactly where the type and images end with no white space around it. I usually change it with the geometry editor so in Insite Preview I see the page with the white space. If it's done correctly in Quark with the page size being equal to the trim size of the book and then the PDF should come out correctly. I've never seen it use the size of the pasteboard.
[/quote

What do they think the margin settings are for?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2010, 10:56:06 AMLive transparency is NOT dependable in Quark. Just to reiterate. Keep 'em flat if you want them to work.

There really is NOTHING that is dependable in Quark. I've not had any issue with Quark and transparency going through Prinergy though.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on March 10, 2010, 11:03:25 AM
Quote from: Joe on March 10, 2010, 10:51:36 AM

What do they think the margin settings are for?

Obviously they haven't discovered that little feature yet. They've only been doing this for 20 some years now. :undecided:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Bullshit! Now with my 750 MB download patch, I can open it. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe