Quarkless_for now

Started by frailer, February 13, 2011, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Had to try and open an '06 job, in Q 6.52, the version it would have been done in. I don't have Q on the Intel iMac. When I try to open on old G5, crashes. Ran applejack AUTO restart. No dice.
I think it may be time for Q2ID, at $270. I'll Paste the start of the Crash Log, if anyone thinks it may help. It was not really critical I open it, really a favour for in-house deziner.
Could re-install, but then there's the Licensing thing...     :undecided:   I don't want t spend time on it.
Shall try Q7 now, see if that crashes too.

.....opens on compadre's G5.   :grrrrrsulk:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: frailer on February 13, 2011, 06:54:23 PMHad to try and open an '06 job, in Q 6.52, the version it would have been done in. I don't have Q on the Intel iMac. When I try to open on old G5, crashes. Ran applejack AUTO restart. No dice.

could be a font problem. Compare the fonts that are open on the G5 that opens the file it to the fonts on the G5 that won't.

and, maybe toss the quark prefs, or the whole app, whichever you prefer.

haha
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Had had a brain freeze. Remembered from wa-a-ay back that Q6 was flaky, but Q7 was usable.
In the meantime I had opened Q6 on the other now redundant G5. It (Quark), locked up; wouldn't Force Quit. Had to button off. G5 would not boot back into Single User Mode. Just stalls in gray screen. Now have to work through the whole list of procedures.  Boot holding Cmd.+Opt.+P+R...etc... :rolleyes:
I now have a whole other problem. We're not using them, essentially, but it still irritates....and I will fix it.    :angry:   Still feel that Quark was implicated, though.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on February 14, 2011, 01:13:40 PMHad had a brain freeze. Remembered from wa-a-ay back that Q6 was flaky, but Q7 was usable.
In the meantime I had opened Q6 on the other now redundant G5. It (Quark), locked up; wouldn't Force Quit. Had to button off. G5 would not boot back into Single User Mode. Just stalls in gray screen. Now have to work through the whole list of procedures.  Boot holding Cmd.+Opt.+P+R...etc... :rolleyes:
I now have a whole other problem. We're not using them, essentially, but it still irritates....and I will fix it.    :angry:   Still feel that Quark was implicated, though.   :laugh:

Send me the file, Captain. I'll give it a once over.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

It was a dirty little job. All I had to do was get a PoScr file, or a PDF, out of the 72 pp doc, and send the deziner a rough spreads as a starting point for the re-hash. (It would be too much work to get some fresh ideas on this).  :rolleyes: I did this OK fro Q7. It's just that Quark has seemingly left a Cyclone Yasi trail of destruction behind it. Broken G5s...stuff like that. 

But thanks for the offer. Always at he ready~rescue, DCS.   :cool:

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on February 14, 2011, 01:25:52 PMIt was a dirty little job.

This is about a quark file? Redundant statement there, captain.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on February 14, 2011, 01:29:30 PM
Quote from: frailer on February 14, 2011, 01:25:52 PMIt was a dirty little job.

This is about a quark file? Redundant statement there, captain.

True, can't be filling the 'net with redundancies now. Suitably chastened. 

hotmetal

Not that this will help with the gear situation you describe, but Indy, including current versions, should still be able to open Quark 4 and 3 files. That capability was engineered in early in the game. They didn't update it past version 4. My home Mac is so ancient it runs OS 9.2.2 along with Tiger, and I managed to keep my copies of Quark 6, 5, & 4 intact during various rebuilds of the hardware, so, if I feel like it, I can save backwards from 6 down to 4 and then open the file in Indy. I consider this a very neat trick.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on February 14, 2011, 07:31:49 PMNot that this will help with the gear situation you describe, but Indy, including current versions, should still be able to open Quark 4 and 3 files. That capability was engineered in early in the game. They didn't update it past version 4. My home Mac is so ancient it runs OS 9.2.2 along with Tiger, and I managed to keep my copies of Quark 6, 5, & 4 intact during various rebuilds of the hardware, so, if I feel like it, I can save backwards from 6 down to 4 and then open the file in Indy. I consider this a very neat trick.

Thanks hm, but that's not an option for me, as we opened the doors on digital in '04; late starters. Trying hard to think...it may well have been Q6, even then.    :undecided:

hotmetal

Ah! Late adopters for sure! Quark 6 came out in 2003, finally bringing Quark to OS X, but remained buggy and useless until 2004. Any version prior to 6 required Mac OS 9 or earlier. What a sad demise...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on February 14, 2011, 08:55:16 PMAh! Late adopters for sure! Quark 6 came out in 2003, finally bringing Quark to OS X, but remained buggy and useless until 2004. Any version prior to 6 required Mac OS 9 or earlier. What a sad demise...

See, we came in at the 'sweet spot'.   :cheesy:   I seem to recall the installer/trainer, and another experienced person we had initially, alluding to such matters.  Lost on me at the time. I'd break out into a cold sweat at the mention of 'Repair Permissions'.    :shocked:   ...and other such stuff.   :laugh:

But I was on board for the eclipse of Quark by the iterations of Indy. 

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: hotmetal on February 14, 2011, 08:55:16 PMAh! Late adopters for sure! Quark 6 came out in 2003, finally bringing Quark to OS X, but remained buggy and useless until 2004. Any version prior to 6 required Mac OS 9 or earlier. What a sad demise...

What do you mean? I have used every version of Quark.... even 6. Buggy, yes. Useless? not a chance. The flood of jobs I had to do in it can attest to that. I have no love for the app, but to say it was useless until 2004 is a bit overstated.
Member #285 - Civilian

hotmetal

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 15, 2011, 05:34:06 PM

What do you mean? I have used every version of Quark.... even 6. Buggy, yes. Useless? not a chance. The flood of jobs I had to do in it can attest to that. I have no love for the app, but to say it was useless until 2004 is a bit overstated.

Clarification of what I meant to say:  version 6 was buggy until they had patched it a couple times. So was 4. So was 3, for that matter. I came in with version 2 but wasn't as up on things like bug fixes back then, and agree that it was a great app until relatively recently. There's a photo of a gravestone that someone posted to some forum somewhere taped to the wall to my right that says:

Quark Xpress
1987-2006
Herein lies a once worthy software, but has
mutilated itself causing its own demise.
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

Quote from: hotmetal on February 15, 2011, 08:49:04 PMThere's a photo of a gravestone that someone posted to some forum somewhere taped to the wall to my right that says:

Quark Xpress
1987-2006
Herein lies a once worthy software, but has
mutilated itself causing its own demise.

It's on my bulletin board at work.  :laugh: Which one of us made that?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david