Quarkless_for now

Started by frailer, February 13, 2011, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: hotmetal on February 15, 2011, 08:49:04 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 15, 2011, 05:34:06 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on February 14, 2011, 08:55:16 PMAh! Late adopters for sure! Quark 6 came out in 2003, finally bringing Quark to OS X, but remained buggy and useless until 2004. Any version prior to 6 required Mac OS 9 or earlier. What a sad demise...

What do you mean? I have used every version of Quark.... even 6. Buggy, yes. Useless? not a chance. The flood of jobs I had to do in it can attest to that. I have no love for the app, but to say it was useless until 2004 is a bit overstated.

Clarification of what I meant to say:  version 6 was buggy until they had patched it a couple times. So was 4. So was 3, for that matter. I came in with version 2 but wasn't as up on things like bug fixes back then, and agree that it was a great app until relatively recently. There's a photo of a gravestone that someone posted to some forum somewhere taped to the wall to my right that says:

Quark Xpress
1987-2006
Herein lies a once worthy software, but has
mutilated itself causing its own demise.

Quark 8.5 has been relatively stable. I have been using the export to PDF function, and to my surprise I have not been bit yet. Using Quark is like walking a tightrope, but really, what job doesn't fit that analogy? All jobs are potential disasters... having worthy software helps, but in the long run, it's all up to the guy pushing the buttons and how far he is willing to go to make sure it's correct.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2011, 11:01:21 AMQuark 8.5 has been relatively stable. I have been using the export to PDF function, and to my surprise I have not been bit yet. Using Quark is like walking a tightrope, but really, what job doesn't fit that analogy? All jobs are potential disasters... having worthy software helps, but in the long run, it's all up to the guy pushing the buttons and how far he is willing to go to make sure it's correct.

I've found the same for Quark 8.5 but I didn't want to admit it publicly for fear of being shunned by my prepress comrades. But you have given me hope that we can all quit hiding our love of Quark and hope for it's return to greatness and defeating the evil Adobe monster. :hello:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2011, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2011, 11:01:21 AMQuark 8.5 has been relatively stable. I have been using the export to PDF function, and to my surprise I have not been bit yet. Using Quark is like walking a tightrope, but really, what job doesn't fit that analogy? All jobs are potential disasters... having worthy software helps, but in the long run, it's all up to the guy pushing the buttons and how far he is willing to go to make sure it's correct.

I've found the same for Quark 8.5 but I didn't want to admit it publicly for fear of being shunned by my prepress comrades. But you have given me hope that we can all quit hiding our love of Quark and hope for it's return to greatness and defeating the evil Adobe monster. :hello:

I have no love for that app. I just don't see why we all treat it like a Microsoft abomination. There are far worse programs out there... Quark is NOT at the bottom of that list. Never has been.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2011, 11:26:46 AM

I have no love for that app. I just don't see why we all treat it like a Microsoft abomination. There are far worse programs out there... Quark is NOT at the bottom of that list. Never has been.

Well really, I don't love any app. They are just apps. Even Freehand.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2011, 11:40:53 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2011, 11:26:46 AM

Well really, I don't love any app. They are just apps. Even Freehand.

Freehand is a martyr. Compliments of the afore-mentioned Adobe juggernaut. I CURSE YOU ADOBE!
Member #285 - Civilian