Goodbye, prepress

Started by gnubler, September 21, 2013, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

been wanting to reply all morning, but work got in the way.  :laugh:

My first thought was mortician/cremator as well. With the baby boomers already kicking the bucket, there will be plenty of business. Or you could just work at a funeral home.
I've thought about it before.

2nd thought, work for the 1%. I see it around here. You become some rich person's whatever and  you're set. There's a friend of a friend here who works on generators. He has three clients that's it, all he needs.

3rd thought, get out of America.

4th thought, live a sustainable life where work is life. instead of slaving away being treated like shit. You know, like living on island in the Pacific, with some tribe, catching/cleaning fish, making flour out of taro root or yucca root, making things out of coconuts, like booze. Recycle all food to the ocean where sharks are your disposal. Help raise the children. That kind of stuff.

5th thought....make sure your passport is valid and never give up.

:banana:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

#4 sounds good. My passport expired this year and I haven't bothered to renew because I refuse to fly on US airlines. Only way out is to walk through the border a bit south of me and just never come back.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Grimace

Sabrina is on to something there with number 4.
I recently went to Fiji (the second island)  The life there was great and the beer there was terrible.
The guy that owned the resort we stayed at brewed beer because it was the cheapest way to get good beer. i asked why no one had opened a brew pub, he said it had been done and was a great success but the owner moved back to Australia and the place deteriorated in his absence. Life is pretty slow and easy on the island and food is plentiful so the locals are pretty lazy. My wife and I really thought hard about moving there. the exchange rate is like 1$ us = $2 fiji

Thanks for the report Grimace!!

hummmmmm....
gnub, just go ahead and do it. That way Mexico isn't your only choice for GTFO.
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

The bindery guy at my last job was from Fiji. His whole extended family moved here because they hated it. They've had something like 3 coup d'etats in the last couple of years. There are two major islands; one is Muslim, the other is Hindi. I think we all know how they feel about each other; it's quite a conundrum.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 23, 2013, 01:10:29 PMThe bindery guy at my last job was from Fiji. His whole extended family moved here because they hated it. They've had something like 3 coup d'etats in the last couple of years. There are two major islands; one is Muslim, the other is Hindi. I think we all know how they feel about each other; it's quite a conundrum.

Yeah, I know. Sounds scarier than it is. The Island we were on was probably the Muslim island, however that does not really apply the the native populations as most of them are catholic as far as I could tell. Your coworker had to work to live there, a fairly decent 401K could last me 20 years no problem. He should have started a brewery! But he probably didn't drink if he was all religious and shit.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Grimace on September 23, 2013, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 23, 2013, 01:10:29 PMThe bindery guy at my last job was from Fiji. His whole extended family moved here because they hated it. They've had something like 3 coup d'etats in the last couple of years. There are two major islands; one is Muslim, the other is Hindi. I think we all know how they feel about each other; it's quite a conundrum.

Yeah, I know. Sounds scarier than it is. The Island we were on was probably the Muslim island, however that does not really apply the the native populations as most of them are catholic as far as I could tell. Your coworker had to work to live there, a fairly decent 401K could last me 20 years no problem. He should have started a brewery! But he probably didn't drink if he was all religious and shit.
He was Hindi, and a vegetarian, but I think he drinks beer. [edit] Not your typical bindery guy. He and the CSR and lead pressman bought the company from the previous owners after I left. His brother used to work bindery too at the same defunct place I worked at, the job before.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

People who are not from SC think it's the best state ever, too. It's a shit hole. :laugh:

Mikie

gnubler

Come on over, it's a fucking party here.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Huh, there was a pretty bad ass brewpub on the less touristy side of town that closed about 7-8 years ago & never had another occupant even though it's had a realtor's sign on it all this time. Just did a search on the old pub name - a neighboring restaurant bought it for $4.1 million and now it's set to be demolished this October.  :cry:

See what I mean about having money to make money?  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on September 23, 2013, 03:08:44 PM
People who are not from SC think it's the best state ever, too. It's a shit hole. :laugh:

Closest I got was NC and while nice to visit, not a place I'd like to live.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Quote from: Slappy on September 23, 2013, 08:55:47 PMHuh, there was a pretty bad ass brewpub on the less touristy side of town that closed about 7-8 years ago & never had another occupant even though it's had a realtor's sign on it all this time. Just did a search on the old pub name - a neighboring restaurant bought it for $4.1 million and now it's set to be demolished this October.  :cry:

See what I mean about having money to make money?  :shoots_self:

There was a fantastic one in Ramapo a long time ago, like late 90's that was always packed but ended up closing for some reason. They were way ahead of the times though. Only me and my dumbass friends wold take the hour trip to go there.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Foozball

If you're staying in the USA, I'd be looking for the cheapest places (cities) to live ... it's a start.

My friend the Australian comedian (notorious booze-hound) swears that Pittsburgh is like a drunkard's Disneyland, as we get hammered drunk and he laughs while he pays the tabs for $2 Yuenglings n Jagermeister nights!
Cost of living here is so damn CHEAP, all you need is a local to show you the basics of cheap eating/drinking/transportation!  :wink:

gnubler

We don't get Yuengling here, not that I would drink that swill anyway...  :hello:

It's not expensive in New Mexico, that's why I live here. It's been described as a third world country residing within a first world country.  :laugh:  I'm renting a tiny house that includes everything for $550/mo. I used to rent a semi-dumpy house down south and the rent was $450/mo for a 3br house with fenced yard.