Rays of Light effect in InDesign

Started by Lefkoff, February 20, 2009, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefkoff

Mac OS 10.5.? • CS3
I once remember seeing a tutorial on the internet about making what appeared to be rays of light. You would draw a circle, give it a dashed stroke, then set the thickness of the stroke insanely high. This would somehow create multiple thin lines at the center of the circle that would increase in thickness as they reached the outside of the circle. I cannot seem to make this work today when I need it most. I know I am forgetting something. Is anyone familiar with this technique? Any help would be appreciated.

beermonster

no sorry but if all else fails photoshp it
good luck
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Lefkoff

David,
YES, YES, YES that is exactly what I am looking for. Please share your knowledge with this lowly production artist!

David

well, I may need to get DCS to write the procedure....

but, while we wait, I'll try to explain how I did it.

First, you will need to make a custom dashed line. What makes this work is the width of the line and the space between the lines. If you use the default dashed line, it won't work.
Go to your Strokes window and click on the triangle in the upper right corner and drag down to stroke styles
click on new
for the one I did, I used a .5" length and a .75" for the pattern length, play with those two numbers and see what you get.

HTH,
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Cool trick, thanks! Going off to try it right now.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Mine's not looking cool like David's example...I need Ferba's guidance. What stroke weight are you using?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Lefkoff

Dave, Works like a charm. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I owe you a beer... or two.

gnubler

Got it! Here's my settings, with 200pt stroke weight:

David

yeah, it's a combo of the stroke weight, the line and the spacing.

cool trick!
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Cool trick. Wonder if it works in AI.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lefkoff

Tracy

Stiv

Quote from: gnubler on February 20, 2009, 12:04:44 PMGot it! Here's my settings, with 200pt stroke weight:

Inagoddadavita I love you. Stay away from the orange tabs, man. They are bad.

Chelle

Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F