Layer Visibility Error

Started by ninjaPB_43, March 02, 2009, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

I just started getting this within the past week..   I cannot find a reason it is giving me this..

any one got any info on this error and what is up with the Illy PDF link that is being updated into Indesign when I get this?

I have compared an old .pdf, and a revised one that is giving the error..  I cannot find a difference other than the text edits..  so why is it telling me there is a difference in Layer Visibility??  Here's a screen grab of the error..

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

the layers are the same and the new file wont RIP, it kicks out of trueflow at the trapping stage..   :sleepy:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

No direct help, at this stage, ninja; but is your RIP pre-APPE?  A friggin' minefield now, with CS4, if you're not on an APPE RIP.

I hold my breath sometimes as I wait for RIP-drops to move beyond interpret and start trapping or painting.  Turned into an even sadder bastard overnight.   :sad:

Oh, that's assuming the transparency flattens properly, even if they do RIP.    :rolleyes:   Like one I had a few days ago. Subtle, but enough to cause a problem.
Solution was to pre-flatten in Acrobat 9.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: frailer on March 02, 2009, 02:08:54 PMNo direct help, at this stage, ninja; but is your RIP pre-APPE?  A friggin' minefield now, with CS4, if you're not on an APPE RIP.

I hold my breath sometimes as I wait for RIP-drops to move beyond interpret and start trapping or interpreting.  Turned into an even sadder bastard overnight.   :sad:

Oh, that's assuming the transparency flattens properly, even if they do RIP.    :rolleyes:   Like one I had a few days ago. Subtle, but enough to cause a problem.
Solution was to pre-flatten in Acrobat 9.

Thanks Frailer.  Trueflow is using APPE...   I have also seen some of the flattening improperly and it's become routine to drop file to RIP and hold breath..    :laugh:   

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 02, 2009, 01:48:26 PMI just started getting this within the past week..   I cannot find a reason it is giving me this..

any one got any info on this error and what is up with the Illy PDF link that is being updated into Indesign when I get this?

I have compared an old .pdf, and a revised one that is giving the error..  I cannot find a difference other than the text edits..  so why is it telling me there is a difference in Layer Visibility??  Here's a screen grab of the error..

PDF version? Where was the original created? Version of that software?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

After reading your orignal post it seems you are trying to update the PDF link with a new PDF. The message is saying the layers are different and I suppose if the text has changed in the layers then ID will say the layers are different. Try opening both PDF's in Acrobat and doing a document compare and it will show you exactly what has changed from the old one to the new one.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2009, 02:33:47 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 02, 2009, 01:48:26 PMI just started getting this within the past week..   I cannot find a reason it is giving me this..

PDF version? Where was the original created? Version of that software?

sorry..

The original linked pdf.  Illy CS3  1.5

The new pdf trying to update.  Illy CS3  1.4   (maybe that has something to do with it..  they went back to 1.4 on the revised file) ???

The layout Indy CS3..

DigitalCrapShoveler

Whenever I get this message, it is usually from merging layers in a linked PSD file. InDesign has the ability to turn off and on imported layers from a psd, so I would assume the same would be true for a PDF.
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 02, 2009, 02:48:45 PMWhenever I get this message, it is usually from merging layers in a linked PSD file. InDesign has the ability to turn off and on imported layers from a psd, so I would assume the same would be true for a PDF.

It do.  My option's are below in attachment..  either way when placing the file, no error.  When "updating"/"relinking" file I don't get the option, but I get the error.. 

even without the error, the placed "revised" files won't RIP.

Joe

Have you tried the document compare in Acrobat? A lot of times it will find differences that you don't visually see.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 02, 2009, 02:56:03 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 02, 2009, 02:48:45 PMWhenever I get this message, it is usually from merging layers in a linked PSD file. InDesign has the ability to turn off and on imported layers from a psd, so I would assume the same would be true for a PDF.

It do.  My option's are below in attachment..  either way when placing the file, no error.  When "updating"/"relinking" file I don't get the option, but I get the error.. 

even without the error, the placed "revised" files won't RIP.

Have you tried flattening the PDF in Acrobat?
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2009, 03:07:37 PMHave you tried the document compare in Acrobat? A lot of times it will find differences that you don't visually see.

no, but I will.

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 02, 2009, 03:08:09 PMHave you tried flattening the PDF in Acrobat?

yes I have, same result.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Can you send it to me to look at?
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

ninjaPB_43

the build of the ONE layer is different, now that I'm going through all the grouping..  it looks like maybe they opened a flattened Illy PDF, made changes and then saved it out as a different version..    I can take the old file, make the text change and save, and I do not get the error..  so the artist is doing something when opening their old pdf to make the revision..   I'm guessing..  :rolleyes: