ID 4 Crashes When Saving

Started by we3dumys, March 05, 2009, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

we3dumys

I am going to post this in the OSX forum as well...

During some construction around the shop, all of our servers were accidentally shut down while I was in the middle of working on a job.

ID4 crashed, and when I brought it back up, none of the 'Save' behaviors work like they did previously. When I try to link files, it always takes me to the local docs folder, when I try to save files, it goes one level up from the previous save location, and if I try to click on the drop down for recent places at the top of the Save pane, ID crashes.

Has anyone got a clue as to how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Ear

I'm taking it you are working off the server? Are you just trying to save to a folder on the server or are you using InDesign off the server?

Trashing the prefs (plist) would be a good place to start. This will be easy if it is installed on your machine but if it's on a server you may need to get the person who is the server admin to help. It doesn't sound like anything is really broken, I think it just lost it's path on the server. You may just have to re-navigate to the proper folder. I wouldn't use the recent places button, I can see how it would be confused if the servers were shut down.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

You mean you can't go into the links folder and relink the files manually? Can you not AFTER getting your links resolved do a Save As, and copy over the previous file?

Have you tried copying the file locally to resolve if this is a server or ID4 problem?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

First thing I would try is to shut down ID and then move the ID preference file to the desktop and then relaunch ID and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't fix it I would do a full applejack AUTO on the machine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yeah. I just re-read the post. We3 doesn't say that it isn't saving, she's saying the save behaviors don't work like they did previously.

Really sounds like they just need to manually re-establish the file paths, like DCS said. I mean, of course things like "recent" and "previous" locations will be likely to be messed up after a crash.

It sounds like someone came in and set them up at one point and they are just having trouble getting the easy button back.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Right. Shall we retire for beers and bratwurst then?  :grin:

gnubler

Wieners and beer??!! I'm there!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

we3dumys

I should have been a little clearer-

EVERY time I press command-D to link a file- it always bring up the user/Document folder on the local HD- instead of ID's usual behavior of taking you to the LAST folder that had something linked to. Royal pain in the ass.

When I hit "Save As" instead of going to the last folder ID saved to, it goes one level up; instead of "Server/Client/Job" it brings to "Server/Client/". Less of a pain, but still annoying.

Also, below where you enter the file name in the Save dialog, there is the dropdown for recent places. If I click on this- it crashes ID.

All prefs have been cleaned, as well as ID cache files, 2 plists that Adobe mentions in a tech support article.

I kept working on it later, and according the the Console crash log- the error is in "com.apple.NavigationServices" and "com.apple.HIToolbox". SO this is NOT an ID4 error- something screwed how ID uses the OSX menu services. Thanks for the help though.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, it is still related to InDesign marginally... InDesign is looking for files in a specific location with a specific path. When you go and try to resolve these issues, the first thing InDesign does is look for that location to try and "automatically" resolve these bad links. Because these paths are changed, or do not exist, it is causing ID4 to crash, blowing it's mind so to speak.

Does your Server have any twitchy things going on? Have you ran a diagnostic since the power outtage? This could be a situation where the Server has lost it's folder heirachy structure data. May need to look into this.
Member #285 - Civilian

we3dumys

The server works fine with Quark, all CS3 programs Word etc. Which is why I am so stumped...

The only thing I noticed was that after the server came back up- it won't automount on boot, and when I do connect to the server manually, the Icon I had assigned to the job server is no longer used.

Ear

Quote from: we3dumys on March 06, 2009, 01:45:09 PMThe server works fine with Quark, all CS3 programs Word etc. Which is why I am so stumped...

The only thing I noticed was that after the server came back up- it won't automount on boot, and when I do connect to the server manually, the Icon I had assigned to the job server is no longer used.

Weird.

Nice avatar. I love Ash. Bruce Campbell does not talk. EVER. He lets his boomstick do the talking for him.